A visa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
All About Ethiopia eVisas
In June 2018, the Ethiopian government introduced its new Electronic Visa (eVisa) system. This allows you to obtain authorisation to enter this East African country online, just by entering some simple personal and passport details. You then receive your eVisa in your email inbox.
So no longer do you have to wake up at the crack of dawn to arrive at the embassy before the queues, or fill in long forms by hand. Instead, you can apply using any electronic device, whether that’s your PC, tablet or mobile, wherever you are, whether that’s at home or on the move.
The eVisa for Ethiopia is available to citizens of all countries in the world, so you know for certain that you’re eligible. There are 30 or 90-day visas available, depending on how long you plan to visit. They’re both Single Entry, meaning you can enter only once.
You need only a few documents to apply for this travel authorisation, including a passport that’s valid for 6 months from your date of entry, and a recent passport-size photograph.
Here we’ll explain everything you need to know about this travel pass, and how to get it with Byevisa. Applying online with our convenient service is easy and takes you just a few minutes.
- 1 What Is the Difference Between an eVisa and an Ethiopia Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
- 2 Ethiopia Visa Requirements and Eligibility
- 3 Ethiopia Tourist Visa Application Process
- 4 Ethiopia Visa Form and Documents
- 5 Ethiopia Visa Online Status Check
- 6 What Is the Ethiopia Visa Cost?
- 7 More Ethiopia Tourist Visa Questions and Information
What Is the Difference Between an eVisa and an Ethiopia Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
The eVisa is an online method to obtain your travel authorisation ahead of your trip. You enter a few personal/passport details, select how fast you’d like to receive it, and pay for your application. Your validated pass then arrives in your email inbox, for you to print and take with you.
The clear advantage of the eVisa is that you’ve sorted your travel authorisation before you even get on the plane. So you know you won’t have any problems at the border checkpoint.
By comparison, you apply for an Ethiopia Visa on Arrival once you’ve landed. You may have to join a long queue of people who’re also applying. Also, if you haven’t checked that your travel documents are in order beforehand, you might have some trouble being allowed in.
Ethiopia Visa Requirements and Eligibility
The good news is that all nationalities are eligible for the visa for Ethiopia. So you don’t have to worry about where you’re from, because you can definitely get this online travel pass!
In addition, you’ll require the following:
- An email address, so that we can send you your validated travel pass.
- A passport with at least 6 months’ validity remaining ahead of your entry date.
- At least 2 blank pages in your passport for stamping when you arrive.
- Alternatively, a permanent residence permit or ID card with at least 6 months’ validity left. Please note that, even if you apply for the eVisa with one of these documents, you still must take your passport to catch your flight.
- A recent passport-size photo.
- A debit/credit card or PayPal account to pay for your application.
Please note that, unlike the majority of visas, the Ethiopia travel authorisation becomes valid from the date you enter the country, not when it’s issued. This is to your advantage, because you don’t have to worry about the eVisa’s validity period expiring once you’ve received it.
Also, this visa for Ethiopia is only valid if you arrive by plane at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. If you attempt to enter the country at any other checkpoint with the eVisa, you won’t be allowed in.
In addition, you can only use this eVisa for tourism, rather than for business or to find work. If you’re visiting Ethiopia for reasons other than tourism, please consult your embassy or consulate to find out more and get the correct visa.
If you apply for this travel authorisation with a residence permit other than your nationality, then you must take your residence permit with you to show Ethiopia’s border officials. For example, if you’re an Indian residing in the USA, and you apply with your US green card, you have to take this with you to be allowed in.
Lastly, if you’re visiting this East African nation from a country at risk of yellow fever, you have to get the vaccine in advance. You can find the list of countries to which this applies on the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) website.
Ethiopia Tourist Visa Application Process
Getting your travel authorisation with Byevisa takes you just a few minutes. Here’s how:
- Scroll up to the top of this page, and you’ll see: (1) the Ethiopian government’s visa cost of 52 USD- for the 30-day eVisa or 72 USD for the 90-day eVisa, (2) Byevisa’s lowest processing fee to obtain your travel document on your behalf of 35 USD, (3) our fastest processing time of 12 hours. You can apply there, or select one of the following options below:
Next you enter your personal/passport information. This includes straightforward details like (1) your full name, (2) your intended entry and exit dates, (3) your passport number and its issue and expiry dates. The form is very easy to fill in. Please enter the details of everyone you’re travelling with, including any children.
2. Select how fast you’d like to receive your travel pass. With Byevisa’s Standard service, you can get it in 3 business days for a 35 USD processing fee. With our Rapid service, you get it in 2 business days for a 65 USD processing fee. With our Highly Rapid service, in just 12 hours for a 100 USD processing fee. So our Highly Rapid service is ideal if you’ve left obtaining your visa to the last minute!
3. Lastly, you pay for your application, by debit/credit card or PayPal.
That’s all there is to it! You’ll then receive your validated travel pass in your email inbox. Remember to print a copy to take with you to show to Ethiopia’s border control authorities.
Ethiopia Visa Form and Documents
1. Here’s a list of the types of personal/passport details you need to apply for your eVisa online:
- Your email address, so that we can send you your validated travel pass.
- Your planned entry and exit dates.
- A contact phone number, in case we need to reach you.
- Your forename, surname and middle name if you’ve got one.
- Your gender (male or female).
- Your nationality, as it is in your passport.
- Your date of birth.
- Your country of birth.
- The country where you reside.
- Your passport number.
- Your passport issue date.
- Your passport expiry date.
- The visa you’re applying for (30 days or 90 days).
Please enter these details for yourself and everyone you’re travelling with, including children. Children need their own travel passes, even if they’re listed on your passport as the parent.
2. Then you select how fast you want to get your eVisa. We offer 3 processing speeds:
- Standard: get it in 3 business days for a processing fee of 35 USD.
- Rapid: get it in 2 business days for a processing fee of 65 USD.
- Highly Rapid: get it in 12 hours for a processing fee of 100 USD.
3. Lastly you pay for your application, either by debit/credit card or PayPal. Just enter:
- Your name, as it appears on your debit/credit card.
- Your debit/credit card’s number.
- Your debit/credit card’s expiry date, and issue date if appropriate.
- Your debit/credit card’s 3-digit CVC/CVV security code, on the back.
- Alternatively, your PayPal information.
You’ll receive an email confirming your application, and we’ll process your application in the timeframe you’ve chosen. So in the meantime, you can sit back, relax and plan your trip! Your travel document will soon arrive in your email inbox, for you to print and take with you.
Ethiopia Visa Online Status Check
Once you’ve applied for your travel authorisation with Byevisa, to check its status is easy. Simply scroll up to the menu at the top of this page, and click on the Status section to find out:
- If your application has been approved.
- If it remains pending.
- If it’s been rejected, and why if we know.
- Your visa’s issue date, expiry date and how long it remains valid for.
If you spot that you’ve made a mistake on your application, please contact us immediately. This will give us time to correct your details before we process your visa. However, if you only contact us after we’ve already processed your visa, you’ll need to apply again and pay the corresponding fee.
Please only get in touch with us to find out your application’s status after the processing timeframe has elapsed. For example, if you’ve chosen our Standard service to get your eVisa in 3 business days, please only contact us on the fourth business day. Otherwise, we’ll still be processing your application!
What Is the Ethiopia Visa Cost?
The fee you pay depends on which eVisa you select and how fast you want it:
1. The Ethiopian government charges: (1) 52 USD for the 30-day Single Entry visa, (2) 72 USD for the 90-day Single Entry visa.
2. Byevisa charges: (1) 35 USD to process your application in 3 business days with our Standard service, (2) 65 USD to process it in 2 business days with our Rapid service, (3) 100 USD to process it in 12 hours with our Highly Rapid service.
So you pay a combination of the government’s fee and Byevisa’s service fee to handle your application on your behalf. For example, let’s say that you apply for the 90-day visa with our Rapid service. In this case you pay a total of 137 USD (72 USD for the visa + 65 USD to process it).
More Ethiopia Tourist Visa Questions and Information
Please find below our most frequently asked questions about the visa for Ethiopia. If you have a query that we’ve not answered here, feel free to get in touch. We’re happy to help!