An EVUS is required for entry. We can guide you through the application process.
Are you a Chinese citizen travelling to the United States with a B1, B2 or B1/B2 visitor visa? If so, then since November 2016 you’re required to enrol on the EVUS (Electronic Visa Update System) prior to arriving in America. This is an online registration where you enter some biographical information, and it’s needed to be allowed entry to the United States.
Please note that the EVUS is not a visa; it’s required as well as holding a valid B1, B2 or B1/B2 visa. Furthermore, you also require a passport that’s valid for at least 6 months, plus the contact information of where you’ll be staying in the United States. All members of your party are required to register for an EVUS, including children and senior citizens.
Your EVUS enrollment is valid for 2 years. During this 2-year enrollment period, you’re permitted to remain in the USA for approximately 6 months at a time. However, if there’s either less than 6 months on your passport remaining or your visitor visa expires, you must first apply for a new one, and then a new EVUS, to be permitted entry again.
The US Customs & Border Protection agency recommends that you enrol on the EVUS at least 72 hours before arriving in the USA to ensure your approval is processed before you land. Enrolling with Byevisa takes just a few minutes, and you can receive your approval in just 3 days!
Read on to learn more ahead of your visit to the home of New York, LA and Chicago.
What Distinguishes the EVUS From a Traditional Visa?
The Electronic Visa Update System (also commonly called the “EVUS China”) is not a visa. It’s an online enrollment where Chinese citizens travelling to the USA for business or pleasure enter their biographical details prior to entry. You’re required to do this to comply with US immigration law.
The EVUS system processes applicants’ details automatically to assess whether they’re a threat to US national interests or security; in the vast majority of cases, approval is simple and straightforward.
Before enrolling in the EVUS, you must first obtain a visitor visa. The B1 visa is for business while the B2 visa is for what’s officially termed “pleasure” (and actually means tourism).
The B1 and B2 are generally valid for 10 years, while the EVUS registration lasts just 2 years. Please note that all your friends, family or colleagues you’re travelling with require a valid visitor visa to enter the United States too.
What’s the Enrollment Process for the US Visa EVUS?
To enrol on the Electronic Visa Update System, you first require:
- A valid B1, B2 or B1/B2 visitor visa.
- A Chinese passport with at least 6 months’ validity remaining prior to entry.
- The address of where you’re staying in the United States.
- An email address where we’ll send confirmation of your enrollment.
Once you’ve compiled these documents and information, just click on the ‘Apply Now’ button either at the top of this page or further down this text. Then, you enter some straightforward information such as:
- Your full name and date of birth.
- The details of your visitor visa.
- Your Chinese passport’s initial date, expiry date and number.
- Information about your stay in the United States.
Then, just select how fast you wish to obtain your enrollment. Byevisa offers:
- Standard 7-day processing to enrol for 20 USD.
- Rapid 5-day processing to enrol for 30 USD (available soon).
- Highly Rapid 3-day processing to enrol for 55 USD (available soon).
That’s all there is to it! You receive confirmation of your enrollment in the processing timeframe you select. Once you obtain your valid EVUS at the email address you provided, you’re ready to enter the USA.
Requirements for the EVUS US for Eligible Citizens
Only Chinese citizens visiting the United States are required to enrol on the EVUS. If you’re visiting the USA as a citizen of another country, you may need to obtain a visa unless you hold an exempt nationality; however, you do not need to enrol on the EVUS.
Chinese citizens must acquire a valid visa before EVUS registration. You also require a passport that’s valid for at least 6 months prior to your arrival date. Lastly, you must know and can provide the details of where you’ll be staying in the USA.
Please note that you’re required to enrol on this system even if you’re only transiting through the USA on your way to another destination, typically at an airport. You must enrol whether you’re entering the USA by land, sea or air. If you’re entering America at Canada’s or Mexico’s land border, you’ll be asked to enrol by hand by filling in some long forms; so it’s best to apply online with Byevisa in advance.
It’s recommended to apply at least 72 hours before you arrive in the USA to ensure that you’re enrolled for when you land stateside. All members of your travelling party must register, including children and senior citizens.
You only need to enrol on the EVUS if you’re visiting for business or pleasure. If you’re visiting to study, you should apply for or already have an F1 student visa. Chinese citizens entering America to study do not have to enrol on the EVUS.
Even with a valid visa and EVUS, your entry into the USA is at the discretion of the US Customs and Border Protection officer who inspects your documents when you arrive. In the vast majority of cases, they will permit your entry quickly and straightforwardly.
US Visa EVUS Form
Find below the full list of information you provide on the form to enrol on the system:
1. Personal and Travel Document Details
- Your first name.
- Your last name.
- Your date of birth.
- Confirmation that you have a US 10-year visitor visa.
- Your B1, B2 or B1/B2 visa foil number (this is the number in red on the visa).
- Your passport number.
- Your passport’s country of issuance (this must be China).
- Your passport’s issue date.
- Your passport’s expiry date.
- Confirmation that your passport contains your valid US visa. If another passport contains your visa, you’re required to provide the details of that passport.
2. Other Passports or Nationalities Details
- Confirmation of whether you currently hold any other nationalities.
- Confirmation of whether you’ve ever held any other nationalities in the past.
- Confirmation of whether you’ve ever been issued a passport by another country.
If the answer to any of these questions is `Yes’, then you must supply further details. Please note that you must use your Chinese passport to enrol in the EVUS and to travel to the United States.
3. Contact Details
- Your email address, so that we can send you your enrollment confirmation.
- Your telephone number.
- Your home street address.
- Your home city.
- Your home state or province.
- Your home country.
4. Employment History Details
- Confirmation of whether or not you currently have an employer.
- Your employer’s name.
- Your employer’s street address (optional).
- Your employer’s city (optional).
- Your employer’s state or province (optional).
- Your employer’s country (optional).
5. Details of Your Travel Plans
- Whether you’re arriving in the USA in transit to another country.
- The details of your accommodation during your stay in America.
6. Eligibility Details
- Whether you suffer from any infectious diseases, such as smallpox.
- Whether you’ve ever been convicted of a crime that resulted in serious harm to a person or property.
- Whether you’ve ever violated any drug laws.
- Whether you’ve ever been involved in terrorism, espionage, sabotage or genocide.
- Whether you’ve ever committed fraud to obtain a visa to the USA.
- Whether you’re currently seeking employment in America.
- Whether you’ve ever been illegally employed in America.
- Whether you’ve ever been denied a US visa.
- Whether you’ve ever previously stayed longer than permitted in the USA.
- Whether you’ve travelled to Iraq, Syria, Iran or Sudan since March 1st 2011.
Confirmation that the information you enter is true and correct.
How to Check the EVUS Status?
To check the status of your enrollment on the EVUS (Electronic Visa Update System) with Byevisa is simple. Here’s how:
- Click on the ‘Login’ button on our main menu.
- Enter the email address you supplied during your application.
- Enter the order ID from the confirmation email you received.
From there, you can find out whether:
- You are enrolled, in which case you’re permitted to travel to the USA.
- Your application remains pending. This depends on the processing timeframe you select, from 3 to 7 days.
- Your enrollment was unsuccessful, in which case we’ll contact you to tell you this. Typically, this is because there was incomplete or incorrect information on your application. In this case, you can apply again with the amended details.
- The US State Department has revoked your visa. In this unusual case, you must apply for a new visitor visa before enrolling on the EVUS.
In the vast majority of cases, enrolling on the EVUS is straightforward and easy. You receive confirmation within the processing timeframe you selected with your order. So in the meantime, you can relax and plan what you want to see and do in the U.S. of A!
In addition, if you have any questions about your enrollment, feel free to contact us! We’re delighted to help.
What’s the Price of the EVUS?
The EVUS fee depends on the processing timeframe you select. With Byevisa you can choose between:
- 20 USD to enrol in 7 days (Standard service).
- 30 USD to enrol in 5 days (Rapid service) (available soon).
- 55 USD to enrol in 3 days (Highly Rapid service) (available soon).
So if you’ve left enrolling on the Electronic Visa Update System to the last minute, our Highly Rapid service is ideal! You can speedily receive confirmation of your enrollment for when you arrive in America.
Please note that the US Customs and Border Protection agency recommends that you apply for enrollment at least 72 hours before you’re due to arrive. This is because, while most enrollments are quick and straightforward, this time frame allows for any further necessary checks.
Frequently Asked Questions
By now you’ve got all the necessary information you need to enrol, whether you’re visiting the USA for a business trip or to go sightseeing. That said, just in case you require further details, we’ve provided the answers to some frequently asked questions below. Take a peek!
Also, check our home page to see all the countries you can make an e-Visa application for with Byevisa.
- If it’s close to its 2-year expiry date or has already expired.
- Your passport has less than 6 months’ validity left, in which case you must obtain a new passport.
- Your B1, B2 or B1/B2 visitor visa has expired, in which case you need to apply for a new visa.
- A valid B1, B2 or B1/B2 visa.
- A Chinese passport with at least 6 months’ validity remaining.
- The details of where you’re staying in the United States.