All About Sri Lanka eVisas
Whether you’re planning a holiday, travelling on business or just stopping over, you will need a visa to enter the tropical island of Sri Lanka. Byevisa makes it fast and easy to get your transit, business or tourist visa online before you go so you can enjoy stress-free travel.
The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system was first introduced by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka in 2012. Thanks to this modernisation, it is no longer necessary to travel to an embassy or consulate, make an appointment or wait in long lines to get your visa.
With Byevisa’s simple eVisa application form, you can receive your travel document in your email inbox in as little as 30 minutes.
Find out which nationalities need a visa, what the application form looks like, what to expect at the airport, and much more. We will guide you through the application process to make sure you get the Sri Lanka eVisa you need in time for your trip.
What Are the Different Types of Sri Lanka e-Visa (ETA)?
There are 3 types of Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA):
- Tourist: double entry for 30 days.
- Business: double entry for 30 days.
- Transit: up to 2 days.
Transit eVisas are issued for travellers just passing through the country on their way to somewhere else.
If you are planning to stay in the country for a visit, you’ll need to determine which type of Electronic Visa you will need, based on what you plan to do there.
Please read this section carefully. You may be surprised to find that an activity you planned on doing as a tourist is officially considered to be a business-related activity.
- Sightseeing, holidaying.
- Visiting relatives or friends.
- Medical treatment, including Ayurvedic.
- Participate in sporting events, competitions and activities related to cultural performance.
- Engage in business meetings or negotiations.
- Participate in a seminar, conference, symposium or workshop.
- Participate in a training program lasting less than 1 month.
- Participate in art, music or dance events.
- Participate in religious events.
Sri Lanka Visa Application Process
Byevisa’s simple online form makes it easy to get your eVisa as quickly as possible. There is no need to travel to an embassy or consulate, and you don’t have to worry about standing in line, overcoming a language barrier or making endless photocopies of your documents. All you need is your passport and an internet connection.
How to apply for a Sri Lanka visa:
- Determine whether you need a tourist, business, or transit ETA (see above for details on each type).
- Plan your intended arrival date.
- Decide where you will be staying in Sri Lanka. (You will be asked to provide the address of the hotel, family member or friend you will be staying with.) It’s not necessary to reserve the hotel beforehand, you just need the address.
- Fill in Byevisa’s easy online form. Make sure to have your passport handy so you can fill in information like the passport issue date, expiration date, etc.
- Make your payment with a valid debit or credit card, or use your PayPal account.
- Check your email. Byevisa will send you a confirmation to let you know your information has been received, so you can rest easy knowing that your visa is being processed.
- Receive your eVisa directly in your email inbox in as little as 30 minutes. It’s that simple!
Sri Lanka Visa Requirements and Eligibility
Almost all foreign visitors need a visa to enter Sri Lanka.
The only exceptions are people with a passport from:
- The Republic of Singapore
- The Republic of Maldives
- The Republic of Seychelles
Nationals of these countries do not need a visa for short visits lasting up to 30 days.
Crew members of planes and ships are also exempt, meaning they do not need a visa to enter the country.
However, if your country is not listed above, you need a visa for Sri Lanka.
The good news citizens of almost all countries are eligible for the ETA.
The fastest and easiest way to obtain your visa is to get it online. To apply, all you need is the following:
- Passport valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry to Sri Lanka.
- Address of where you will be staying*.
- Valid credit/debit card or PayPal account.
- Email address and phone number.
*In terms of the address where you will be staying, this could be a hotel or the house/apartment of a family or friend living in the country. It is not necessary to show proof of a hotel reservation; you just need to research the hotel where you intend to stay so you can provide the address.
You will be asked to provide the following when you arrive to Sri Lanka:
- Passport valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry.
- Valid visa. (It’s easy to get one with Byevisa.)
- Confirmed return ticket.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover expenses during your stay in the country.
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate if applicable. (Required only of visitors travelling from countries at risk of yellow fever. Check the World Health Organisation website see the full list of applicable countries.)
If you fail to meet these requirements, you will not be allowed to enter the country.
Sri Lanka eVisa Form and Documents
With Byevisa, the online visa application form is very straightforward. Filling out the form only takes a few minutes.
You do not need to upload any supporting documents. That means you don’t need to make any photocopies/scans or take any photos. You can enter all the necessary information using only your computer keyboard, tablet or mobile phone.
All eVisa applicants (tourist, business, transit) need to provide the following information:
- Personal details: Full name, date of birth, gender, nationality, country of birth, occupation.
- Passport info: Passport number, date of issue, expiry date.
- Travel info: Intended arrival date, purpose of visit, flight information (optional). You may also need to provide the telephone number of your holiday accommodation.
- Contact details: Home address, address in Sri Lanka, email, phone number.
- Payment info: Valid credit/debit card number, expiration date and 3-digit security code or PayPal account.
If you will be travelling with your children, you can add each child to your application only if:
- The child is listed in your passport.
- The child does not possess a separate passport of their own.
If the child does have their own passport, you must submit a separate Electronic Visa application just for them.
The form also includes the following questions:
- Do you have a valid Residence Visa to Sri Lanka?
- Are you currently in Sri Lanka with a valid ETA or have you obtained a visa extension?
- Do you have a Multiple-Entry Visa to Sri Lanka?
Please keep in mind that if you answer yes to any of these questions, you will not be able to obtain an Electronic Visa. You must cancel your current visa or wait for it to expire before you can apply.
If you are applying for a Business ETA, you will be asked to provide additional information:
- Description of the purpose of the visit.
- Your company name and address (optional).
- Name, address and contact details of the Sri Lankan company you’re visiting.
Be sure to review that all of your information is complete and correct before submitting the form. All of the data must be consistent with what appears on the passport you will be travelling with.
Sri Lanka Visa Status Check
Once you have applied for an online visa, you can check the status of your application at any time.
To do so, navigate to the ‘Log in’ section of the Byevisa website to find out if the status of your application is authorised (in this case, you can see the validity and expiration dates), pending or rejected.
Keep in mind that it’s not necessary to actively check your status. Byevisa will send an email directly to your email inbox to let you know whether or not your application has been approved.
How Much Is a Visa for Sri Lanka?
The cost depends on what kind of visa you need and how quickly you’d like to receive it.
The Tourist ETA costs USD 35.00 for the visa itself, plus a processing fee.
- Standard service: get your visa in 1 business day for USD 20.00.
- Rapid service: (available soon).
- Highly Rapid service: (available soon).
The Business ETA and Transit ETA will be available soon.
Citizens of countries belonging to the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) can get eVisas at a reduced price. This discount applies to nationals of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal and Pakistan. Processing fees for Sri Lanka visas are the same for all nationalities.
More Sri Lanka ETA Questions and Information
Do you still have some questions floating around in your mind? No worries, our FAQ section is here to help. Click on the arrow next to each question to reveal the answer.