An eVisa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
(Depends on Nationality)
Byevisa Processing Fee
All About the Mongolia Visa
Thinking about trying out a different Asian destination for your next holiday? Look no further than Mongolia. This land of adventure has a fascinating history, a world-famous nomadic culture and unique, rugged landscapes. The best part is, travel to this country is now easier than ever.
Previously, foreign visitors entered into 2 main categories: a handful of nationalities who could enter the country with just a valid passport, and those who needed to get a Mongolia visa from an embassy or consulate.
Fortunately, as of June 2021, a new e-Visa platform makes travelling to Mongolia with a visa a breeze. Byevisa takes this a step further by proving a one-stop shop for all your entry-related questions. Not only will we show you which countries are visa-exempt, but we’ve also done the hard work of combing through the Mongolia visa policy to bring you clear, step-by-step guidelines on how to request your eVisa online today.
What are you waiting for? Keep scrolling to read all the ins and outs of the Mongolia e-Visa, as well as the traditional tourist visa. Mongolia’s vast steppes and clear mountain lakes are just a few clicks away.
Mongolia Visa Application Process
Applying for your digital travel authorisation is hassle-free with Byevisa, and you may find that the application is similar to other online visa systems. Here are the steps:
- Check that your passport has at least 6 months’ validity from your entry date.
- Enter some basic personal information into Byevisa’s form.
- Upload the supporting documents in digital format.
- Select how fast you want your authorisation: Standard, Rapid or Highly Rapid.
- Pay the fee with a credit/debit card or PayPal account.
- Receive your approved authorisation directly to your email.
And that’s it! No queues or trips to the embassy required. From here you simply have to print your eVisa confirmation, pack your bags and set off for the adventure of a lifetime.
If you’re applying via the traditional route through an embassy, you’ll require the same information, plus a few extra documents that detail your itinerary, flights and purpose of visit. Keep in mind, however, that this document will take a bit longer to process and will involve either an in-person visit to the embassy or that you send your application via post.
Mongolia Visa Requirements and Eligibility
To apply for the Mongolia eVisa, you need to be a citizen of an eligible country and must be travelling for business or tourism. Once approved, your Single-Entry travel pass will be valid for either 30 or 90 days, depending on your nationality. You can check if you’re eligible below:
Or, simply refer to our list:
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Federated States of Micronesia
Papua New Guinea
Republic of Cyprus
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
Alternatively, nationals of 22 countries may travel to Mongolia visa-free. This means that tourists from Canada, the US and Japan, among others, can immerse themselves in nomadic culture for 30 or 90 days, depending on your nationality. In this case, all you need is to present a passport valid 6 months from your date of entry and a round-trip ticket when passing through customs.
Here’s the complete list of visa-exempt countries:
- Belarus (up to 90 days)
- Brazil (up to 90 days)
- Canada (up to 30 days)
- Chile (up to 90 days)
- Cuba (up to 30 days)
- Germany (up to 30 days)
- Hong Kong SAR (China)(up to 14 days)
- Israel (up to 30 days)
- Japan (up to 30 days)
- Kazakhstan (up to 90 days)
- Kyrgyz Republic (up to 90 days)
- Macau SAR (China)
- Malaysia (up to 30 days)
- Philippines (up to 21 days)
- Russian Federation
- Serbia (up to 90 days)
- Singapore (up to 30 days)
- Thailand (up to 30 days)
- Turkey (up to 30 days)
- Uruguay (up to 30 days)
- USA (up to 90 days)
Mongolia Visa Application Form and Documents
Applying for a Mongolia visa online is easy with Byevisa. All you need is a few minutes to follow the steps below:
- Select your nationality from the drop-down list and where you’re travelling to (in this case, Mongolia).
- Fill in your personal details such as your name, address and marital status.
- Fill in your passport details such as the number, issue and expiry dates.
- Upload a recent colour photo.
- Please note that Mongolia visa photo requirements call for a photo with a white background uploaded as a JPG or PNG file only.
- Upload a copy of the bio page of your passport, in JPG or PNG format only.
- Include information about your accommodation, entry and exit dates.
- Include information about previous visits or applications.
- Use a debit/credit card or PayPay account to pay the online fee.
You’ll then receive your approved e-visa by email within the processing time selected (Standard, Rapid, Highly Rapid).
Applying for a Traditional Visa
If you’re unable to enter the country visa-free or with the digital authorisation, no need to worry. We’ve outlined the steps to take for those applying for a traditional tourist permit below:
- Make sure that your passport has 6 months validity and at least 2 blank pages.
- Contact your nearest embassy to make an appointment or enquire about mail applications. Use our embassy finder tool to locate the diplomatic mission closest to you.
- Download the application from the embassy’s page and attach a recent, colour photo.
- Gather your proof of return travel, accommodation and/or entry visa if you’re travelling to a 3rd country after Mongolia.
- Put together a detailed itinerary of your trip.
- Pay a money order to the embassy where you’ll apply (please see the embassy webpage for specific prices and instructions on this).
- Request an invitation letter with contact details, if you’re visiting family or friends.
- Prepare a prepaid, self-addressed envelope to send with your application, if you’re applying by mail.
We recommend that you contact your embassy for your appointment well in advance, and start preparing your documents in the meantime to make sure you have everything ready in time. The wait time for embassy applications can take up to several weeks.
Keep in mind that your passport must remain at the embassy during this time, so be sure to plan any other foreign travel accordingly.
Applying for a Mongolia Visa on Arrival (VoA)
VoAs are typically issued to visitors travelling as part of an organised tour. In this case, your travel agency in the country will submit your travel and passport details to the Immigration Department in Mongolia.
Once approved, Immigration will send approval to your travel agency, who will in turn send the approval to you to present upon arrival at Chinggis Khaan (Buyant Ukhaa) International Airport in Ulaanbaatar.
At the airport, you will be responsible for presenting this form at the VoA counter and for paying the stamp fee of approximately 70 USD. This fee may vary depending on the nationality of the applicant and must be paid in cash.
How Much Does a Mongolia Visa Cost?
The cost of the electronic authorisation and traditional entry permit both depend on your nationality.
To give you an idea, if you apply for a traditional tourist entry permit through the Mongolian Embassy in London, UK, your 30-day Single-Entry pass would cost 40 GBP (54 USD). A Multiple-Entry pass for the same amount of time would be 70 GBP (102 USD).
Meanwhile, at embassies and consulates in the USA, the price for a 30-day Multiple-Entry document would be 160 USD.
For Byevisa to handle the e-application on your behalf, you’ll also pay our processing fee. This depends on the speed you select: Standard, Rapid or Highly Rapid.
Mongolia Visa Status Check
With Byevisa, you can check the status of your travel authorisation in 2 easy ways:
1. In the menu at the top of this page, click the ‘Log In’ button. Enter your details and your query, and you can see:
- If your travel pass has been accepted.
- If it was rejected, and the reason why if we know.
- When it becomes or became valid, and how long before it expires.
- Your travel authorisation’s exact expiry date.
2. If your selected processing period has already expired, you can contact us directly. Just fill in your name, phone number, email address, and the form with what you’d like to know.
On the other hand, if you’re applying for a traditional tourist permit, you must contact the embassy directly for information on your application’s status. Please note, however, that some embassies have strict policies regarding visa queries, and may not be able to tell you your status until it has been definitively approved or rejected.
More Mongolia Travel Visa Information
Please find below more information on this new digital travel authorisation. If there’s anything you’d like to know that we’ve not answered here, just contact us!
The Mongolia visa length for travellers passing through on transit is 10 days.
Australian permanent residents who do not qualify for the digital travel pass can apply for a traditional entry permit following the steps described above.
Thanks to an agreement between these 2 nations, Indian nationals travelling with an ordinary passport are exempt from the visa fee and only the service fee will be charged.
If you’re applying at an embassy, you must provide some basic information about yourself as well as a driver’s license or other national ID.
To ensure this doesn’t happen, make sure to mind the details. A minor typo in the application could mark the difference between approval and rejection.
Don’t worry about getting lost in translation, though, as English is becoming popular alongside Russian as a common foreign language spoken here.