A visa is required. We cannot assist in processing this document, but we provide instructions on how to apply.
All About the Palau Tourist Visa
With Palau’s beautiful beaches, blue sea and superb, world-class diving, it is easy to see why tourism to the country is on the increase.
If you are planning to travel here, It’s useful to know whether you need to apply for a tourist visa in advance. This depends on your country of citizenship, and the following information will explain it all for you.
Fortunately, citizens of the USA, UK, EU, Israel, Taiwan, and some other countries, are visa-exempt for Palau. As such, you don’t have to apply for any kind of entry pass, and how long you can stay depends on your nationality, as we explain below. To visit, all you need is a passport that’s valid for at least 6 months and proof of return or onward flights.
On the other hand, the citizens of almost all other countries are eligible for a Visa on Arrival (VoA) to Palau. You apply for this when you disembark your plane at customs, and your VoA is issued to you there and then. This entry document allows you to visit for up to 30 days initially, and it’s free. However, the VoA can be extended twice, each time for 30 days, for 50 USD each.
To obtain the Palau VoA, you need a passport that’s valid for at least 6 months, plus some other supporting documents which we explain in detail below.
Lastly, the citizens of Bangladesh and Myanmar must obtain an entry pass from the nearest Palau embassy or consulate ahead of your visit here.
Read on to learn all about the Palau visa regulations that apply to you!
- 1 What Is the Difference Between Palau Visa Exemption, the Visa on Arrival, and the Palau Embassy Visa?
- 2 Palau Visa Requirements and Eligibility
- 3 Palau Tourist Visa Application Process
- 4 Palau Island Visa Form and Documents
- 5 Palau Visa Status Check
- 6 How Much Is a Palau Island Visa?
- 7 More Palau Visa Questions and Information
What Is the Difference Between Palau Visa Exemption, the Visa on Arrival, and the Palau Embassy Visa?
There are a number of visa-exempt countries and territories for Palau. Nationals of these jurisdictions, such as the United States, United Kingdom, and European Union, are able to visit this country without the need to obtain any tourist travel documents.
Almost all other nationals need to obtain a tourist Visa on Arrival when you get here. Luckily, this is a very quick and easy process, and the border authorities will then stamp your passport directly.
The only exception to this is for nationals of Bangladesh and Myanmar. In this case, you will need to apply for a travel authorisation in advance, and will need to contact the nearest Palauan embassy or consulate. You can do this with our Embassy Finder Tool.
Palau Visa Requirements and Eligibility
Are you asking yourself “Do I need a visa for Palau?” Whether you require travel documents to visit depends on the country that issued your passport. There are a number of visa-exempt countries and territories, which we list as follows.
List of Palau Visa-Free Countries
Passports holders of the following countries are able to travel to the country and stay for up to 1 year without any entry authorisation:
- Marshall Islands
- United States
Passport holders of the following jurisdictions can enter without an entry pass and stay for a maximum of 90 days:
- European Union (90 days in a 180-day period)
- United Kingdom (90 days in a 180-day period)
Passport holders of the following countries are able to enter without prior permission and can stay for a max length of 30 days:
Almost all other nationalities need to obtain a tourist VoA at the airport. This is valid for a maximum stay of 30 days but, luckily, it can be extended twice, for a total stay of 90 days. You must request each extension at least 7 days before your current visa expires, and there’s a 50 USD fee per extension.
Only nationals from Bangladesh and Myanmar are required to obtain an entry document in advance from the nearest embassy or consulate.
Palau Tourist Visa Application Process
The Palau VoA is obtained when you land at the airport and, therefore, the application process is simple:
- Once you arrive at the airport, you’re required to provide the border authorities with a valid passport and some other supporting documents that we outline below.
- The border authorities process your application there and then, and this takes just a few minutes to complete.
- You will be handed your passport with the authorised document stamped in it, at which point you’re free to enter and enjoy your stay!
The application process for nationals from Bangladesh and Myanmar is different, though. These nationals need to apply for their entry permit in advance of arriving, and this is done at a Palauan diplomatic mission. Contact your nearest Palau embassy or consulate for more details.
Palau Island Visa Form and Documents
If you’re visa-free for Palau, then to visit, you require just a passport with at least 6 months of validity remaining, and proof of return or onward flights.
Alternatively, to get a Palau Visa on Arrival, you have to submit some supporting documents. These include documents regarding your nationality, the purpose of your visit, the duration of your visit, plus proof of vaccinations. We’ve listed the required documents as follows:
- A valid passport. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months, and have blank pages for the entry and exit stamps.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover your entire stay in the country. This has to be at least 200 USD per week of your planned stay.
- Proof of a booked return or onward travel ticket.
- Evidence of vaccination for yellow fever, if you are arriving from an infected area. You can check this on the World Health Organisation’s website.
- Provide an International Certificate of Vaccination for cholera, if you are arriving from an infected area. You can also check this on the World Health Organisation’s website.
- Proof of accommodation, such as a hotel reservation or a letter of invitation from the place of residence. The dates on these documents should match the dates on your inbound and outbound flights, to ensure there are no discrepancies in your application form.
Palau Visa Status Check
The tourist VoA is obtained on arrival at the airport and the entire process just takes a few minutes, so there is no need for a status check.
How Much Is a Palau Island Visa?
Fortunately, there is no cost for the tourist VoAl!
If you wish to extend your stay in Palau, you can do so 2 times, each time for 30 days. You must apply at least 7 days in advance of your current visa expiring, and the cost is 50 USD per extension.
You can find out more information about extending your visa’s validity by contacting the country’s Bureau of Immigration on (680) 488 – 2498 or 2678, on Monday to Friday, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm, or by emailing email@example.com.
Also, as of 1 January 2018, every visitor to the country is eligible to pay a 100 USD environmental fee. All international airlines are required to include this in the price of the ticket to Palau, and it’s used to preserve the country’s cultural heritage and environment.
More Palau Visa Questions and Information
Would you like to know more ahead of your visit to Ngerulmud or Koror? Please find below some helpful FAQs about applying for travel documents to enter this country.
On the other hand, the tourist VoA is valid for a maximum stay of 30 days. It should be noted that the day of arrival is counted as day one, even if it is in the evening.
It is possible to apply to extend this 30-day stay for a fee. This can be done twice, for another 30 days each, meaning the total period of stay permitted is 90 continuous days.
Each extension has a fee of 50 USD, and you are advised to apply at least 7 days before your current entry permit is due to expire. The extension can be requested at the Bureau of Immigration.
Only nationals of Bangladesh and Myanmar are required to apply for the tourist visa in advance. All other nationalities are able to obtain yours on arrival at the airport. The process is very quick and just takes a couple of minutes.
If both your nationalities are eligible for the VoA, then it doesn't matter which passport you apply with, so long as you use the same passport throughout your trip to be consistent.
Marbelle Condominium II, Unit 101 Ground Floor 2071 Roxas Boulevard Malate Manila Philippines firstname.lastname@example.org