A visa is required. We cannot assist in processing this document, but we provide instructions on how to apply.
All About the Afghanistan Visa
Are you thinking about visiting Afghanistan? Most countries are currently recommending against travelling here, due to its political instability and ongoing conflict. Before booking your trip, we recommend you thoroughly read up on the implications and risks of travelling to this country at this moment in time.
That being said, if you have decided to travel to Afghanistan, it’s important you know the ins and outs of the country’s entry policies. All nationalities who wish to visit for tourism or to see friends and relatives must get a visa before leaving their country of origin.
There isn’t currently an electronic system set up to obtain your travel document, which means you will need to either get it in person or by post from your nearest embassy.
In 2015, the government proposed a new Visa on Arrival (VoA) for certain categories of visitors, including athletes, journalists, airline staff and those visiting on business. This new scheme was partly created to facilitate entry for investors living in a country where there is no Afghan embassy or consulate.
On this page, we will look at all the entry policies for Afghanistan and the processes that must be followed if you wish to travel here.
- 1 What Is the Difference Between an Afghanistan Visa and the Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
- 2 Afghanistan Visa Application Form and Process
- 3 Travel to Afghanistan Visa Requirements and Eligibility
- 4 Afghan Visa Application Form and Documents
- 5 Afghan Visa Status Check
- 6 How Much Does an Afghanistan Visa Cost?
- 7 More Questions and Information About Afghanistan Visas
What Is the Difference Between an Afghanistan Visa and the Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
The entry policies and travel documents for this country are fairly straightforward, since there are only 2 types of entry permits you can get: the Travel Visa (TV) or the VoA.
In the vast majority of cases, you will require a TV, no matter what country you are from. This Single-Entry document is obtained through an Afghan embassy before travelling to the country, and it allows you to stay for 30 days. To obtain a TV, you must usually apply in person. However, it may be possible to send your application by post as well in some countries.
On the other hand, the VoA is a document issued upon arrival in Afghanistan, currently issued only to those travelling for business or looking to invest in the country. This system is very new and is being introduced slowly.
At the moment, the VoA can only be issued at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul. In addition, you must be able to provide evidence that you are indeed eligible for this entry permit.
Afghanistan Visa Application Form and Process
As we mentioned, anyone travelling to Afghanistan for tourism will need a TV. This document is valid for a period of 90 days from the moment it is issued, and it allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 30 days.
The visa is stamped into your passport, and as such you are required to make the application in person with the original copy of your passport.
Alternatively, you may be able to send your passport along with all the relevant documents to the embassy by post. This will depend on the country you are applying from. So if for any reason you can’t attend in person and would like to make your application by post, please contact your nearest Afghan embassy to find out if this option is available to you.
- Download, print and fill out the application form.
- Prepare all the required documents (see below).
- Book an appointment (generally you can do this online, but it will depend on the embassy you apply with).
- Attend the interview at the embassy.
- Receive the visa stamped in your passport.
- Download, print and fill out the application form.
- Prepare all the required documents (see below), including a prepaid return envelope with your address on it.
- Post everything to the embassy.
- Wait to receive your passport in the post with the visa stamped inside.
It usually takes around 5-7 days for the document to be issued, but this could be a little longer if you are applying by post.
Travel to Afghanistan Visa Requirements and Eligibility
Essentially all nationalities worldwide must obtain a visa to visit Afghanistan, and there are very few exceptions.
The only cases in which you won’t need to get a visa are these:
- You have an Afghan passport.
- Your parents were born in Afghanistan.
- Your parents are Afghan nationals.
Or if you have either a diplomatic or service passport from one of these countries:
- India (only diplomatic)
All other visitors travelling for tourism or to visit family and friends will need to obtain a standard TV.
In addition, all visitors must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the arrival date in the country.
However, there are a number of nationalities for whom this rule does not apply. The nationalities listed below will need a valid passport at the time of entering the country, with no rule on how long it must be valid for.
These countries are:
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
Regardless of your nationality, you must make sure you have at least 2 blank pages in your passport, so there is enough space for the visa as well as the entry and exit stamps.
Afghan Visa Application Form and Documents
When it comes to applying for a TV, you must provide a series of documents and forms. These can vary slightly depending on where you are applying from, so it’s always a good idea to check the website of your nearest embassy or give them a call to find out exactly what you need to provide for a successful application.
For instance, embassies in some countries request an invitation letter from a sponsor or a personal statement, while others only ask for the essential information.
These are the documents required by all Afghan embassies for the issuance of a TV:
- A completed and signed application form.
- 2 passport size pictures, taken within the last 6 months.
- A valid passport.
Additional documents that are often requested:
- An invitation letter from a sponsor or relative stating the purpose of your visit (this can also be a travel agency).
- Itinerary from a travel agent with flights and accommodation details.
- Proof of address in your country of residency.
- Personal statement outlining the reason for your visit.
In the application form, you will need to provide the following information:
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your place of birth
- Your country of residency
- Your nationality
- Your marital status
- Your gender
- Your home address
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Name of employee / company
- Address of employee / company
- Name of previous employee / company
- Address of previous employee / company
- Type of visa you are applying for
- Entry date
- Exit date
- Duration of intended stay
- Places you will visit
- Address in Afghanistan (this can be the address of a hotel)
- Passport number
- Issue date
- Issue place
- Expiry date
You will also be asked to provide details if you have a criminal record.
At the end of the form, you must attach a photo in the designated box, as well as sign and date it.
Afghanistan Visa Photo Size
The photos must be 4×5 cm in size. In addition, the photos you need to submit must be in colour with a white background.
Documents Required to Obtain a Visa on Arrival (VoA)
To be issued a VoA, you must provide the following documents at border controls upon arrival at Hamid Karzai International Airport:
- A notarised copy of your business license with at least 6 months validity on it.
- A notarised bank statement showing you have at least 100,000 USD.
- A completed application form with a recent passport-size photo attached.
- The address of the company along with commercial documents validating the address.
- A business letter from the company.
- A police clearance or a no-objection certificate.
If you wish to take advantage of this scheme, please make sure you have all the correct documents necessary before your departure.
Afghan Visa Status Check
Whether you apply in person or by post, you should contact the embassy directly if you would like information regarding your application. In most cases, it will take around 7 days for the document to be processed, so it is best to wait until after this period has passed before contacting the embassy.
To avoid the risk of your application being rejected the first time, make sure you fill in the form accurately so that the details you provide exactly match those on your passport, and you attach all the supporting documents required.
If you have any doubts about filling out the form or the documents you need to attach, contact the embassy before you submit your application.
How Much Does an Afghanistan Visa Cost?
The cost to travel to Afghanistan as a tourist varies depending on your nationality. Some countries such as India and Pakistan can obtain the permit free of charge, while other nationalities have to pay a fee.
The fees generally range between 80.00 USD, which is what EU citizens pay, up to 170.00 USD, which is what US citizens pay. The embassy will be able to provide you with the fee that applies to your nationality.
Furthermore, if you are planning your trip through an agency who is helping you obtain your TV, additional processing fees may apply.
More Questions and Information About Afghanistan Visas
Do you have more questions about the application process? Below we have provided some answers to frequently asked questions to further assist you.
Moreover, we would recommend that you leave yourself some extra time to allow for delays, especially if you are mailing your documents to an embassy or consulate in another city or country.
Embassies in different countries may have slightly different requirements or processes, so it’s important you read the requirements and policies carefully.