An eVisa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
5 business days
All About the Malawi Visa
Malawi’s government requires the majority of its tourists to obtain a visa to legally enter the country. Fortunately, the newly implemented Electronic Visa system offers visitors an easy way to apply for your travel authorisation online. This allows you to avoid waiting in long airport queues and filling out paperwork by hand.
Citizens of over 200 countries and territories may apply for an Electronic Visa to visit Malawi. If you’re from Europe, the UK, the US, India, Australia, or New Zealand, you can apply for an e-Visa before you travel. You can apply for this electronic document with Byevisa from anywhere in the world, and once it’s approved we send it to you by email. The process takes between 5 and 8 business days.
The Malawi eVisa is for a Single Entry only. This authorisation is valid for up to 90 days and allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 30 days from the date you arrive.
The government fee for an e-Visa is 50.00 USD. Byevisa charges an additional processing fee to handle your paperwork, and our prices start at 25.00 USD.
Continue reading to find out how Byevisa can help you get on your way to Malawi, and click ‘Apply Now’ to get your eVisa!
e-Visa versus Malawi Visa on Arrival
An eVisa for Malawi is a travel authorisation that you obtain online before you go. This allows you to skip the queues and the paperwork at the port of arrival. Byevisa makes it quick and easy to get your electronic authorisation. This way, when you arrive the process is simple: all you have to do is show your e-Visa and your passport at the border control and you’re ready to go.
On the other hand, a Visa on Arrival is an authorisation that you apply for when you land by going to the airport’s visa area, waiting in the queue, filling out the application form and paying the fee. The most convenient and time-saving option is to apply for an eVisa.
Malawi Visa Requirements and Eligibility
All nationalities except Afghanistan and the 33 visa-exempt countries listed below are eligible to apply for an eVisa for Malawi. To check whether your country requires a visa, select your nationality with our checker tool.
Citizens from these visa-exempt countries and territories can stay in Malawi visa-free for up to 90 days:
Antigua and Barbuda
Hong Kong (30 days)
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Keep in mind that you need a valid passport to apply. Its expiration date must be at least 6 months after your arrival date and it must have 2 blank pages available for stamping.
Malawi’s electronic authorisation is for a Single Entry only, meaning that if you want to travel into neighbouring Zambia, or the Tanzania or Mozambique sides of Lake Malawi, you need to apply for multiple eVisas according to the number of times you need to enter the country.
Your electronic travel document has a validity of 90 days from the date of issue, meaning that you must use it during this 90-day timeframe. If you’re unable to travel during that time, you’ll need to apply for a new authorisation. Once you arrive in the country you may stay for up to 30 days.
If you are travelling with children, including minors under 21 years of age, you must submit their birth certificates and a letter of consent from the child’s other legal guardian, if that guardian is not accompanying you on your trip. Each child must have his or her own passport.
You require a yellow fever vaccination if you are travelling to Malawi from a country where there is a risk of yellow fever. To find out if this applies to you, visit the World Health Organisation’s website.
Malawi Visa Application Process
Byevisa’s application process for a Malawi eVisa is straightforward.
- Fill in our online application form with data from your passport as well as details about your trip.
- Upload the following documents as part of your application:
- A recent passport photo.
- Passport information page.
- Your return ticket.
- Confirmation of your accommodation, either a letter from your host or your hotel reservation.
- Children’s birth certificates and guardian consent letters, if applicable.
- Please note that these documents must be scanned. The application system does not allow photographs of your documents.
- Pay the government’s 50.00 USD fee along with our processing fee with a bank card or PayPal.
- We handle the processing of your paperwork according to the timeframe you specify in your application, between 5 and 8 business days.
- When your authorisation is approved, we send your eVisa to the email address you provided in your application. This is the document you will show the customs agent when you arrive. While you may show it on your mobile phone, we recommend printing a copy as well.
Malawi Visa Application Form and Documents
Here we walk you through the steps of how to complete your Malawi eVisa application with Byevisa. We keep it simple so you can spend your time planning your visit to see the wild animals in Liwonde National Park.
1. First, select your nationality from the form above, along with where you’re travelling (Malawi).
2. To start your application, click ‘Apply Now.’ You’re directed to a new page where you enter the following personal data:
- Your email address, the one we use to communicate with you and send your e-Visa.
- Your dates of arrival and departure.
- Your name and surname, making sure they match what’s in your passport.
- Your gender.
- The country where you are a citizen.
- Your date of birth.
- The country where you were born.
- The country where you currently reside.
- Your passport number, along with its issue and expiry dates.
As part of your application, you upload the following documents:
- Your passport photo.
- A scan of your passport information page.
- A scan of your return travel ticket.
- A scanned copy of either your hotel reservation or a letter from your host.
- A scanned copy of your children’s birth certificates, if applicable.
- A letter from your children’s other legal guardian, if applicable.
3. The final step is to enter your credit or debit card number or use PayPal to pay the government eVisa fee and our processing fee. After you’ve double-checked that all your data is correct, click ‘Submit Payment.’
This finalises your application along with your payment. That’s it – all you need to do is wait for your approved travel document to arrive by email! Your processing time varies depending on the speed you select, between 5 and 8 business days in total.
4. Once your application is approved, we send your Malawi eVisa to your email inbox. This is the document you’ll show to immigration officials when you arrive. We recommend that you both print your eVisa and save a copy on your smartphone.
Malawi Visa Status Check
Wondering if your travel pass has been approved yet? Reach out to us by clicking ‘Status’ in our website main menu, which takes you to our support page. Here you fill in:
- Your name and surname.
- Your email address.
- The reason for your inquiry.
- A message with details of your request.
Click ‘Submit’ to send your request. Someone from our customer service team will respond to your message as quickly as possible. You can also find out:
- Whether your eVisa has been approved.
- If your authorisation is still pending approval.
- The start date and expiration date of your approved travel document.
- If your application was denied, and the reason. Bear in mind that we’ll reach out to you immediately if this is the case.
In the unlikely case that you haven’t heard from us by the end of your selected 5, 7 or 8 business day processing timeframe, feel free to reach out to us for assistance. Otherwise we’re still working on your application.
How Much Does a Malawi Visa Cost?
The Malawi eVisa has a government fee of 50.00 USD. At Byevisa, our processing fees are as follows:
- Our Standard service costs 25.00 USD and takes 8 business days.
- Our Rapid service, for 50.00 USD, has a processing time of 7 business days.
- Our Highly Rapid service has a price of 75.00 USD and takes 5 business days to process.
Byevisa offers flexible and convenient options to suit your needs.
More Malawi Visa Questions and Information
In case you need more information about how to get a visa for this East African nation, we have put together the answers to some frequently asked questions below.
However, Malawi’s immigration department reserves the right to make final decisions on accepting eVisa applications. If your application is rejected, we will send you an email letting you know why.If it’s a matter of your application data not matching your passport details, you can amend your application. If you apply again you’ll need to pay the corresponding fee a second time.
Your travel authorisation will display data from the passport you used in your application, so showing a different passport could lead to border officials denying you entry to the country. You can check whether both your countries require a visa using our checker tool above.