An eVisa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
2 business days
All About the Malaysia Visa
As of March 2016, Malaysia’s government introduced its Electronic Visa (eVisa) system to facilitate tourist visits to the country. With this straightforward online method, you just enter some personal and passport information into our online form, and your travel authorisation arrives by email for you to print and take with you. It’s far simpler than visiting the embassy.
Citizens of Bhutan, Bangladesh, China, India, Montenegro, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Serbia and Sri Lanka are eligible for the Malaysia eVisa. However, if you’re a citizen of one of 160 other countries, then you’re exempt from needing a travel pass to visit this Southeast Asian country. This includes citizens of the US, UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
The Malaysia eVisa allows for visits of up to 30 days and is valid for 90 days from its issue date. For instance then, if your pass is issued on January 1st, you can visit for up to 1 month up to the end of March. It’s a Single Entry visa for all eligible nationalities except Indians. By comparison, the Malaysia visa for Indians is Multiple Entry, allowing you to enter and exit repeatedly.
Applying for your Malaysia tourist visa with Byevisa is straightforward and takes just a few minutes. Here we tell you everything you need in advance and walk you through it.
Please note that if you’re an Indian or Chinese national, you’re also eligible to apply for what’s called a Malaysia eNTRI visa. To find out more, as well as how to apply, click here.
What Is the Difference Between an e-Visa vs a Malaysia Visa On Arrival (VOA)?
An eVisa (Electronic Visa) is a convenient new online way to obtain your travel pass in advance. You simply make your online visa application on our website, and your valid eVisa arrives in your email inbox. You can apply from almost anywhere in the world, except Malaysia and Singapore according to the Malaysian government’s rules. You can apply from your PC, tablet or mobile.
The great advantage of the online visa is that you no longer have to visit the embassy. So there’s no getting up at the crack of dawn to travel there, which depending on where you live could be on the other side of the country, nor waiting in long queues just to get inside.
On the other hand, you apply for a Visa on Arrival (VoA) after your flight lands in Malaysia. However, as with a traditional visa, you risk facing long queues and filling in complex forms by hand, when you’d rather be exiting the airport and enjoying your holiday. The eVisa is faster and simpler.
Malaysia Visit Visa Requirements and Eligibility
To apply for this travel authorisation you must be a citizen of one of the following countries:
- Sri Lanka
You require the following during the application process:
- An email address, as your validated travel pass arrives in your email inbox.
- A passport that’s valid for a minimum of 6 months from when you intend to get there.
- A scan of your passport’s front page to upload.
- A scan of a recent colour passport-sized 35x50mm photo to upload.
- Proof of your return or onward flight out of Malaysia.
- If you’re applying for children, a scan of their birth certificate.
Once your eVisa arrives in your email inbox, print a copy to take with you. You must do this to show to Malaysia’s immigration officials when you arrive. A digital copy on your tablet or smartphone will not be accepted.
In addition, when you arrive in Malaysia, you must also show the following documents:
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the duration of your stay, such as cash, traveller’s cheques or credit/debit cards.
- Proof of accommodation, such as a hotel booking. If you’re staying with a friend or relative, you must provide a cover letter including:
- Your name and passport number.
- Your friend or relative’s name and address.
- A copy of your friend or relative’s identification.
- Your travel dates.
If you’re a citizen of one of these eligible countries and you are living abroad, you may also be required to show your work or residence permit at Malaysia’s customs border. So be sure to take this with you.
In some cases, Malaysia’s government asks applicants to attend an interview before approving your application. If this happens, Byevisa will notify you of the details of the interview in advance including (1) where you need to go (2) the interview’s date and time.
Also, if you’re travelling to Malaysia from a country at risk of yellow fever, you must be vaccinated before you arrive. To see if this applies to you, visit the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) website. If you do need the vaccine, then consult your doctor.
Also, please note that if you’re a Bangladeshi citizen, to be allowed entry at the border checkpoint, you may be required to show a passport or residence permit from the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland or Schengen Zone countries.
Lastly, the citizens of 160 other countries and territories are exempt from needing a visa to enter. This includes nationals of the USA, UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India. To see if this applies to you, consult our eligibility checker tool here. If so, it’s your lucky day!
Malaysia Entry Visa Application Process
To apply for your travel authorisation with Byevisa is simple and takes just a few minutes. Here’s how:
At the form at the top of this page, enter your nationality and destination (Malaysia). You immediately see:
- If you’re eligible for this eVisa, and which one. The Malaysia visa for Indians is Multiple Entry, while all other eligible nationalities can get the Single Entry pass.
- The Malaysian government’s charge of 45.00 USD.
- Byevisa’s processing charge of 35.00 USD.
- Byevisa’s processing speed of 2 business days.
Please note that, although Byevisa can process your application in just 2 business days, you may be called for an interview at the Malaysian embassy before your application is accepted. To allow time for this possibility, we strongly recommend that you apply at least 2 weeks in advance of your trip’s start date.
- Click ‘Apply Now’ to go to our personal/passport information form. Here you type in some straightforward details, such as your name, date of birth and passport number. We ask for this information to be able to process your application on your behalf. Enter your details for yourself and any travel companions, including minors.
- Select how fast you want to receive your eVisa. Byevisa offers 3 convenient processing speeds, namely Standard (6 business days), Rapid (4 business days) and Highly Rapid (2 business days). However, as we mention above, please ensure you apply at least 2 weeks before your trip to allow for the possibility that you may be interviewed.
- Pay for your application by debit/credit card or PayPal.
Easy peasy! You receive an email confirming your application and, within your selected timeframe, your validated travel document in your email inbox. As stated previously, it’s obligatory to print off a copy to take with you, as you’ll show this at customs.
Malaysia e-Visa Forms and Documents
1. Here’s the complete list of personal and passport details you enter to apply:
- Your email address, for us to send you your validated travel document.
- Your travel dates into and out of the country.
- A phone number, should we need to contact you.
- Your first name, middle name and last name.
- Your sex (male or female).
- Your nationality.
- What date you were born on.
- The country where you were born.
- The country where you reside.
- Your passport number.
- Your passport’s issue date and expiry date.
- The visa you’re applying for (the 30-day eVisa).
- Your entry point into Malaysia (all entry points are valid).
- Confirmation that you have a return or onward flight ticket out of the country.
- Confirmation of whether you’re arriving by air, sea or land.
Type in this information for yourself and all the people you’re travelling with, including minors. If you’re travelling with children, you need to upload a scan of their birth certificate as part of the application process.
2. Select how fast you want to obtain your Malaysia visitor’s visa in your email inbox, from the following options:
- Standard service: Get it in 6 business days for a 35.00 USD processing charge.
- Rapid service: Get it in 4 business days for a 65.00 USD processing charge.
- Highly Rapid service: Get it in 2 business days for an 85.00 USD processing charge.
As stated above, although Byevisa obtains your eVisa for you in these processing timeframes, ensure you apply at least 2 weeks in advance. This is because the Malaysian embassy may call you for an interview before your application is accepted.
3. Pay for your application by credit/debit card or PayPal. You enter the following:
- Your name as it appears on your credit/debit card.
- Your credit/debit card’s number.
- Your credit/debit card’s expiry date.
- Your credit/debit card’s 3-digital security code on the back face.
Once you’ve entered these details, click ‘Submit’ and your eVisa will wing its way to your email inbox in a jiffy.
Malaysia Visa Check
To check the status of your visa application with Byevisa is easy:
- Click ‘Log in’ in the menu.
- On the next page, enter (1) your name, (2) contact details (3) your query.
- A member of our customer service team will reply to you very quickly.
- Among other things, you can find out:
- If your application has been accepted.
- Your visa’s issue date, expiry date, and how long it’s got left.
- If your application remains pending.
- If your application was rejected, and the reason why if we know.
- Among other things, you can find out:
If you’re contacting us because you’ve spotted that you made a mistake on your application, please do so as soon as possible. If we’re yet to process your application, we’ll amend it for you free of charge.
However, if you only contact us after we’ve already processed your application, you’ll have to apply again from scratch and pay the corresponding fee.
What Are the Malaysia Visa Fees?
The Malaysian government charges 45.00 USD for its eVisa. In addition, for Byevisa to handle your application, we charge a processing fee. This differs depending on how quickly you want to obtain your travel authorisation in your email inbox:
- Obtain your eVisa in 6 business days for a 35.00 USD charge, with Standard service.
- Obtain it in 4 business days for a 65.00 USD processing charge, with Rapid service.
- Obtain it in 2 business days for a 85.00 USD processing charge, with Highly Rapid service.
So the total you pay depends on which Byevisa service you select. For example, if you choose our Standard service, you pay a total of 80.00 USD (45.00 USD government fee + Byevisa’s 35.00 USD processing charge).
Malaysia Entry Visa FAQ
Do you have more questions about this eVisa before your trip? If so, please find below the answers to our most frequently asked questions. If you have any queries we’ve not addressed, send us a message and we’ll quickly reply!
Citizens of 160 other countries, including the US, UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, are exempt from needing a visa to enter Malaysia.
The cover letter must contain: (1) your name and passport number, (2) your friend or relative’s name and address, (3) a copy of your friend or relative’s identification, (4) your travel dates.