An eVisa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
eVisa (Single Entry)
Depends on Nationality
Byevisa Processing Fee
14 business days
Travel Document Type
eVisa (Multiple Entry)
Depends on Nationality
Byevisa Processing Fee
14 business days
All About the Romania Visa
Heading to Romania to visit its majestic castles and beautiful medieval towns? You’ll need to investigate travel authorisation requirements before you go!
Some nationalities including Americans, Canadians, Australians and citizens of New Zealand don’t require a visa to visit here if you’re visiting as a tourist for less than 90 days. You will, however, need to have a current passport valid for at least 6 months from the date you enter the country.
Alternatively, citizens of other countries including India, Pakistan and Thailand do require Romania travel visa authorisation. If this applies to you, you’ll be happy to hear that there is an eVisa available and you can apply for it today with Byevisa.
The first step is to fill out an easy online application. Proof of your itinerary and accommodation is required to obtain the travel authorisation as well as a photograph, medical insurance for your trip and proof of funds to cover your stay.
You will then need to go in person to the corresponding embassy or consulate to finalise your application.
Continue reading to find out more about the process!
Romania Visa Application Process
Wondering how to get a Romanian travel pass?
Read on for full details of what you need to do to secure your electronic travel authorisation to visit ‘Dracula’s castle’ and other impressive attractions.
These are the 5 steps to follow:
- Fill out a simple online application with Byevisa. Make sure to answer all questions as fully as you can.
- Upload your supporting documents in the correct format (more information on this below in the ‘Application Forms and Documents’ section).
- Submit and pay for your online application. We offer 3 processing speeds for your convenience.
- Wait to receive your Romania visa online confirmation by email during the time frame you chose at checkout.
- Once you’ve received the electronic travel authorisation, you need to visit the relevant diplomatic mission or consulate to verify your documents and complete the process.
How far in advance should I apply?
Please note, it can take a few weeks for your application to be processed. We recommend submitting your application at least 2 weeks before your estimated date of departure and no more than 3 months before that date.
If you intend to stay for a period of over 3 months, you should contact the Romanian General Inspectorate for Immigration. If you’re looking to work here, for example, you will need to request a different type of travel authorisation.
Romania Visa Requirements and Eligibility
Wondering if you need a visa to visit this Eastern European nation?
Use our eligibility checker tool to see what authorisation you require:
Alternatively, here is the list of countries that are eligible to apply for an eVisa to visit Romania as a tourist:
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
São Tomé and Príncipe
Please note, the following countries are also subject to the airport Romania transit visa requirements.
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka.
Some countries have agreements in place so that their citizens can visit Romania visa free for up to 90 days.
Romania visa free countries:
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina (*)
Republic of Moldova
Republic of North Macedonia (*)
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom (**)
United States of America
*The visa requirement exemption applies to holders of biometric passports.
**Excluding those British nationals who are not British citizens.
If you are not from one of the countries listed above, you will need to apply for a visa.
Romania Visa Application Forms and Documents
Filling out our online application form is very straightforward. You need to provide some personal and passport information and travel details. Aside from completing the application form, you need to upload supporting documentation and enter your credit or debit card number to pay the fee. You can also pay by PayPal if you prefer.
At the top of this page, select your nationality and where you’re travelling to (in this case, Romania).
Click ‘Apply Now’ to go to the next page, where you enter your personal and travel information.
You will need to provide the following details:
- First name.
- Date of birth.
- I.D number.
- Place and country of birth.
- Nationality at birth.
- Current nationality.
- Marital status.
- Mother’s name.
- Father’s name.
- Type of passport.
- Passport number.
- Passport validity dates and where it was issued.
- Employer’s address and telephone number (details of your school instead if you’re a student).
- Type of visa you’re applying for and the purpose of your stay.
- Number of entries.
- Duration of stay.
- Previous stays in the country or in other Schengen Member States.
- Entry/exit dates and mode of transport.
- Name of host or host company in Romania and of a contact person in the host company.
- If not applicable, provide the name of your hotel or temporary local address.
- Who is covering the cost of your trip and your stay in the country.
- Means of support during your stay.
- The date your travel medical insurance is valid until.
- Your spouse’s details (where applicable) and any children (please note, children must be applied for separately).
- Details of any relatives in the country (if you have any).
You also have to upload the following supporting documents:
- Evidence of your accommodation reservation.
- Proof of your itinerary.
- Travel medical insurance that is valid for the duration of the period of stay.
- Proof of financial means (50 EUR a day, minimum of 500 EUR).
As well as a recent photo meeting the following requirements:
- A 3 x 4 cm coloured photo on a white background.
Guide to form and supporting documents:
- File size: Each document must not exceed 2 MB.
- Format: Attachments must be provided in one of the following formats: jpeg, jpg, tif, png, bmp, txt, rtf or pdf.
- Language: Supporting documents should be translated into Romanian or English by an authorised translator.
- Characters: Only Latin characters are allowed in the filename.
In addition to the documents listed above, nationals of certain countries must also present an invitation approved by the Inspectorate General for Immigration – Ministry of Internal Affairs of Romania.
This applies to the countries listed below:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- North Korea
- Sri Lanka
- South Sudan
Romania Visa Online Status Check
Checking the status of your application with Byevisa is easy peasy. In the main menu at the top of this page, click the ‘Log in’ section.
Here you can find out if your application has been:
- Accepted, as well as the issue and expiry date of your travel authorisation.
- Has been rejected, and why if we know this information.
- Remains pending.
If you realise that you’ve made a mistake on your form while applying, please get in touch straight away. Where possible, we’ll correct the mistake for you. However, if we’ve already started processing your visa, you’ll have to apply again and pay the corresponding charge. So double check everything when you enter your personal and passport details.
Remember, unless your processing time frame has passed and you still haven’t received your pass via email, we’ll likely still be processing your application. For example, if you’ve selected our Highly Rapid service to obtain your travel pass in 14 business days, please only contact us on the fifteenth business day or later.
How Much Is a Romania Tourist Visa?
The Romania visa fee depends on your nationality. To find out how much your pass is, enter your nationality in the checker tool.
In addition, you pay Byevisa’s processing fee for us to handle your paperwork on your behalf. This saves you the time and effort of doing so yourself so that you can relax and plan which castles and churches you want to visit.
The visa processing fees for this travel authorisation are as follows:
- Standard processing: USD 33.00
- Rapid processing: USD 55.00
- Highly Rapid processing: USD 85.00
In total then, you pay the Romanian government’s fee plus Byevisa’s processing cost.
How long does it take to process this travel authorisation?
It depends on the processing time you choose. We offer 3 options:
- Standard service: 17 business days
- Rapid service: 15 business days
- Highly Rapid service: 14 business days
Is Romania a Schengen Country?
Romania has been part of the European Union since 2007, however, it isn’t part of the Schengen Area, but it’s working towards becoming a member.
If Romania becomes part of the Schengen zone, entry and exit conditions may change and we’ll keep you updated if they do.
For example, Romania may start to offer the ETIAS along with the other Schengen countries.
More Romania Visa Questions and Information
Please keep reading to find out more about the tourist visa for this culturally rich country. If you have any questions that we’ve not answered here, then feel free to get in touch.