An eVisa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
5 business days
All About the Russia eVisa
In recognition of the country’s unique tourism opportunities, in 2017 the Russian Federation began offering Electronic Visas for tourists to visit Russia for up to 8 days. Over 45 nationalities are now eligible to apply.
Here Byevisa walks you through the entire process. There are currently limitations to the areas of the country you are allowed to visit, so make sure to read all about the details of this travel authorisation before you book your tickets to see the palaces of Saint Petersburg or visit the volcanoes of Kamchatka. You must apply for a specific regional travel pass depending on where in the country you would like to travel.
Want to discover whether or not you’re eligible for a visa to Russia, how to apply, where you can travel, requirements you must meet and much more? We answer all your questions and make it easy to apply for the travel pass you need.
- 1 What Is the Difference Between a Russia e-Visa vs a Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
- 2 Russia Visa Requirements and Eligibility
- 3 Russia Visa Application Process
- 4 Russia eVisa Form and Documents
- 5 Russia Visa Status Check
- 6 Russia eVisa Validity Period
- 7 What is the Russia Visa Cost?
- 8 More Russia eVisa Questions and Information
What Is the Difference Between a Russia e-Visa vs a Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
Some countries have a Visa on Arrival policy, where travellers can get authorisation upon arriving at the airport. However, this is not possible for travel to Russia. If you need a visa for Russia, you’ve got to get it ahead of time.
The fastest and easiest way to do so is to apply for an Electronic Visa with Byevisa. You can get your travel document sent to your email inbox in as little as 5 business days.
We simplify the application process, so you don’t have to take a trip to visit a Russian diplomatic mission or consular office in your home country and go through all the trouble of processing your documents there. If you are from a country eligible for an eVisa, save yourself the headache by applying online.
Russia Visa Requirements and Eligibility
You can check if you can apply for this travel document here:
Alternatively, if you hold a valid passport from one of the following countries, you are eligible for an eVisa for Russia:
Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of (North Korea)
Here are the requirements for getting your eVisa:
- You must be travelling for one of the following purposes:
- Humanitarian (with sports, cultural, scientific, or technological ties).
- You must have medical insurance valid in Russia for the entirety of your stay.
- You must have a passport from an eligible country that:
- Is valid for at least 6 months from the date of application.
- Contains blank pages for border crossing stamps.
- You must enter the country through a valid checkpoint:
Anadyr (Ugolny Airport)
Khabarovsk (Novy Airport)
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (Yelizovo Airport)
Vladivostok (Knevichy Airport)
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Khomutovo Airport)
Kaliningrad (checkpoints in the cities of Kaliningrad, Baltiysk and Svetly)
Saint Petersburg (Marine Station) Big Port
Saint Petersburg Passenger Port
Please keep in mind that you can only get your eVisa for 1 of 3 regions:
- Far Eastern Federal District.
- Kaliningrad Oblast.
- Saint Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast.
Your travel pass is only valid for 1 region. You are not permitted to visit other areas of the country.
The government has announced that the Russia eVisa will be extended to cover the entire country starting on January 1, 2021, but for now the regional limitations apply.
Please note that you don’t need a hotel reservation or a letter of invitation for the eVisa. Traditional Russia tourist visas do require an invitation letter, so when you get your visa online, that’s one less thing you have to worry about.
The citizens of some countries are not required to have a visa to enter Russia. These visa-exempt nations are:
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brunei Darussalam *14 days
Korea, Republic of (South Korea)
Nauru *14 days
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
United Arab Emirates
Passport-carrying citizens of the above countries can stay for 30, 60 or 90 days without a visa, depending on your nationality. Use the visa checker to see the specifics for your nationality.
If you are from the United States, UK, Canada, Australia or any other country not listed above as eligible for an e-Visa or visa-exempt, you will need to process your visa in the traditional way, at a Russian embassy or consulate in your country.
Russia Visa Application Process
When you’re ready to apply, here are the steps to follow:
- Gather the necessary documents. You just need your passport and a recent digital passport-type photo.
- Fill out Byevisa’s simple online form. You have to provide personal details, passport information and travel information, as well as upload your digital photo.
- Choose how quickly you need to receive your eVisa. Byevisa offers 3 different processing speeds, from 5 to 9 business days.
- Complete your payment information. You’ll need a credit card, debit card or PayPal account.
- Check your email to see the confirmation message that Byevisa has sent to let you know your application has been received.
- Relax and enjoy your free time while Byevisa takes care of getting your official travel document.
- Check your email after the processing time has passed to see that Byevisa has sent you a message with your eVisa attached.
- Print out your document and take it with you when you travel.
- Enter the country through one of the designated airports, seaports or landports. See a full list of valid points of entry in the ‘Requirements’ section above.
- Enjoy visiting the country for up to 8 days.
Russia eVisa Form and Documents
Byevisa simplifies the eVisa process by providing a simple online form that’s easy to fill out. We tell you what’s on the form ahead of time, so you know what you need before you start.
Your personal details:
- Your surname, given name, and patronymic name (if any), exactly as indicated in the first machine-readable line of your passport.
- This is the line at the bottom of the passport with the <<< symbols. Keep in mind that the machine-readable name may differ from the one that appears in the visible portion of the passport next to your photo.
- If your surname does not fit in the “Surname” field of the application form, just write all that you can, as it appears in your passport. Do not abbreviate.
- Your birthdate, including day, month and year.
Your passport information:
- Your nationality.
- Your passport number.
- Passport issue date and expiration date.
Your travel information:
- What region you intend to visit: Far Eastern Federal District, Kaliningrad Oblast, or Saint Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast.
- Your intended date of entry.
Then, choose a processing speed. You have 3 options:
- Standard service: get your travel pass in 9 business days.
- Rapid service: get it in 7 business days.
- Highly Rapid service: get it in 5 business days.
Finally, complete your payment information using a credit card, debit card or PayPal account.
Then, click “Submit Application” and sit back as Byevisa takes care of the rest.
Please also keep in mind that you need a digital passport-type photo of yourself. Here are the photo requirements:
- Colour photo in JPEG format, 35×45 aspect ratio.
- Taken in the past 6 months and reflects your current appearance.
- Image must be clear and in focus.
- Plain light-coloured background, without frame. No shadows, objects or other people. No flash reflections on face or red eyes.
- Your head must be centred, from the top of the hairline to the tip of the chin, with top of head and top of shoulders visible. Your face must take up 70% to 80% of the photo with your nose on the symmetry line.
- You must be facing forward, looking at the camera, with neutral expression, mouth closed, eyes open and visible (not covered by hair or glasses frames). Head should not be tilted or turned.
- Religious head coverings are acceptable. They may not cover facial features, face must be visible from bottom of chin to top of forehead.
- If you wear glasses, avoid heavy frames. Your eyes must be visible. Tinted lenses and flash reflections of lenses are not permitted.
- The colour scheme must be neutral and show your natural skin tone.
Russia Visa Status Check
Once you have received our email confirming that your application has been submitted successfully, you can look up what stage it’s in at any time.
To do so, simply click the ‘Status’ button in the main menu, and enter your details and enquiry. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Among other things, you can find out the following:
- Date of application.
- Processing speed selected, which tells you when you can expect to receive your document.
- Current status: (1) authorised, (2) pending, (3) remains valid, or (4) rejected.
When your application is authorised or, in very rare cases, rejected, Byevisa will send a message directly to your email inbox to let you know.
As long as you’re checking your email regularly, you will know when you receive your travel document. The email that Byevisa sends you will include your eVisa attached as a PDF, so you can download it and print it out.
Russia eVisa Validity Period
The eVisa is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance. You are allowed to stay in the country for up to 8 days, but all 8 days must be within the 30 day validity period.
Please note that the day of entry and day of exit are counted as 2 days. The simple rule to remember is that if you enter on a Monday, for example, you must leave the country no later than the following Monday. If you enter on a Tuesday, leave on or before Tuesday.
As stated above, you must leave the country while your eVisa is valid. If you enter on a Tuesday, but your 30 day validity period expires on the following Sunday, you must leave on Sunday even though you have stayed for less than 8 days.
What is the Russia Visa Cost?
The Russia eVisa itself is free, but there is a small fee for using the Byevisa service, which saves you the time and frustration of doing the paperwork yourself.
The cost of getting your travel document sent straight to your email depends on how quickly you need it. When you fill out the application form, you are asked to choose 1 of the following:
- Standard service: Receive your travel pass in 9 business days for 25.00 USD.
- Rapid service: Have it in 7 business days for 40.00 USD.
- Highly Rapid service: Have it in 5 business days for 50.00 USD.
More Russia eVisa Questions and Information
Looking for more answers about travelling to the land of ballet and caviar? Our FAQ section covers everything you need to know before you go.