An eVisa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
5 business days
All About the Tanzania eVisa
Citizens of most countries need a visa to travel to Tanzania, so if you’re planning to visit Kilimanjaro National Park or the Spice Islands of Zanzibar, you need to learn how to get a Tanzania tourist visa for your trip.
Byevisa makes it easy. This is your one-stop source to find out if you need a visa, what requirements you need to be aware of, which documents you have to provide, how long you’ll be able to stay, and much more.
Once you have all the facts, you can apply for your Tanzania travel visa online with Byevisa.
The Tanzanian government introduced the Electronic Visa system in 2019, so it’s no longer necessary to go to an embassy in person to get the authorisation you need.
You can complete the entire process online and receive your visa grant notice in your email inbox. You print the document and take it with you when you travel. Finally, you’ll hand the printed document to the immigration officials when you arrive in the country to receive the necessary stamp in your passport and gain entry.
Moreover, if you’re obtaining your travel document to enter this fascinating East African nation, it also doubles as a Zanzibar visa. So this is fortunate if you plan to visit this beautiful island on your trip too!
Here we walk you through each step of the process of how to apply for your travel pass with Byevisa.
- 1 What Is the Difference Between a Tanzania e-Visa vs a Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
- 2 Tanzania Visa Requirements and Eligibility
- 3 Tanzania Visa Application Process
- 4 Tanzania Visa Application Form and Documents
- 5 Tanzania Visa Status Check
- 6 How Much is a Visa for Tanzania?
- 7 More Tanzania eVisa Questions and Information
What Is the Difference Between a Tanzania e-Visa vs a Visa on Arrival (VoA)?
With the Electronic Visa system, you get your travel pass beforehand so you can travel with your printed authorisation in hand. This makes your trip much more relaxing and enjoyable.
What’s more, Tanzania´s visa policy also applies to the Zanzibar Archipelago, so this saves you having to apply for 2 separate travel passes.
As the name suggests, a Tanzania Visa on Arrival is an authorisation that travellers of eligible nationalities can obtain when they arrive in the country. In this case, instead of getting a visa ahead of time, travellers have to wait in long lines to process paperwork and pay a fee at the airport or port of entry.
Not only is this time consuming, it is also stressful, as there is no guarantee that you will be granted authorisation and allowed to enter the country.
Getting an e-Visa is the faster and more convenient option, and Byevisa can help you process this authorisation online to make things even easier on you.
Tanzania Visa Requirements and Eligibility
The basic requirements for this country’s and Zanzibar’s visa are:
- You must have a passport with at least 6 months’ validity after your intended entry date.
- You must have at least 1 blank page in your passport.
- You must be travelling to Tanzania or Zanzibar for one of the following purposes:
- Tourism, leisure, holiday.
- Visiting family*.
- Attending a conference*.
- Health treatment*.
- Humanitarian and charity activities**.
*US citizens must be travelling for tourism or leisure only.
**If you plan on volunteering during your stay, you need to provide extra documents, including a volunteering contract and a letter of invitation.
You must enter the country at one of the following points:
- Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (AAKIA).
- Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA).
- Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA).
- Namanga land border.
- Tunduma land border.
Also, you should know that citizens of some countries do not need a visa to travel to Tanzania or Zanzibar. You still have to go through some immigration formalities when you arrive, however. To check if you’re eligible for or exempt from this eVisa, click the button below:
If you possess a valid passport from one of the nations listed below, you are allowed to enter the country without obtaining special permission first:
Antigua & Barbuda
Ashmore & Certie Island
British Virgin Island
British Indian Ocean Territory
Isle of Man
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts & Navis
South African Republic
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks & Caicos
Be sure to take your passport with you, along with a yellow fever vaccination certificate if you are travelling from or through a country at risk of yellow fever transmission (see the full list on the World Health Organisation website). You may also be asked to show your return or onward ticket.
If you are not a citizen of a country listed above, you do need a Tanzania and Zanzibar visa.
In most cases, Byevisa can help you get the visa you need for Tanzania online.
However, if you have a passport from one of the countries listed below, you require a Referral Visa for Tanzania. This means you must take additional steps to get your authorisation to travel, and Byevisa will not be able to assist you.
Please be aware that in this case, it is recommended that you apply for a visa more than 2 months before you intend to travel and wait for a reply before booking your ticket.
Citizens of the following countries need a special Referral:
Stateless persons or persons with refugee status
That takes care of all the special cases. If your country was not listed in either of the 2 lists above, Byevisa can assist you in obtaining your tourist eVisa quickly and easily.
Tanzania Visa Application Process
With Byevisa, the application process is simple and straightforward for your visa to Tanzania and Zanzibar.
- Fill out Byevisa’s easy online form with your personal details, passport information and information about your travel plans.
- Upload a digital copy of your passport’s biographic data page, a passport-sized photo and a copy of your return ticket.
- Choose a processing speed. Byevisa offers 3 options, depending on how quickly you would like to receive your document:
- Standard (9 business days processing time) for 30.00 USD.
- Rapid (7 business days processing time) for 55.00 USD.
- Highly Rapid (5 business days processing time) for 85.00 USD.
- Select your payment method. You can pay using a credit/debit card or a PayPal account.
- Submit your application online.
- Check your email to find a confirmation from Byevisa letting you know that your submission has been received correctly.
- Relax and enjoy your free time while Byevisa takes care of obtaining your visa.
- Check your email once the processing time has passed to find your Electronic Visa in your inbox.
- Print out your e-Visa and take it with you when you travel.
Please be aware that when you arrive in the country, you must:
- Present a printed copy of your eVisa.
- Show a yellow fever vaccination certificate if you are travelling from or through a country where yellow fever is endemic. Visit the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) website to see the full list of countries.
Tanzania Visa Application Form and Documents
The Byevisa online form is designed to be simple to understand and easy to fill out. You are asked to provide information including:
Your personal details.
- Full name.
- Marital status.
- Date and place of birth.
- Nationality at birth.
- Current nationality.
- Residence status.
- Mobile phone number.
- Present address.
- Permanent address.
- Employment status.
- If employed, employer name and occupation.
Your passport and travel information.
- Type of passport.
- Passport number.
- Country and place of issue.
- Date of issuance.
- Date of expiry.
- Country from which you are applying.
- Purpose of your visit.
- Destination: Tanzania mainland or Zanzibar.
- Port type.
- Port of entry.
- Port of departure.
- Date of arrival.
- Number of days you plan to stay.
- Local host, if any, and their contact information.
- Accommodation plans (hotel, motel or apartment) and address.
- Countries resided, with start year and end year for each.
- Yes/no: Are you travelling with a group or organisation?
- Yes/no: Are you travelling with minors?
Visa documents to upload.
- Digital photo.
- Passport size and style.
- JPEG or PNG file type.
- 300 KB max.
- Digital copy of your passport.
- Open to the personal data page.
- JPEG or PNG file type.
- 300 KB max.
- A digital copy of your return ticket in the following format may be required too.
- PDF file type.
- 1MB max.
That is the bulk of the form. Once you’ve filled out the information fields and uploaded your documents, there are only 2 parts left.
- Processing speed. Choose how quickly you would like to receive your visa by email.
- Standard: Get your document in 9 business days for 30.00 USD.
- Rapid: Get it in 7 business days for 55.00 USD.
- Highly rapid: Get it in 5 business days for 85.00 USD.
- Payment method.
- Credit/debit card:
- Full name on card.
- Card number.
- 3-digit security code.
- Expiration date.
- PayPal account.
- Credit/debit card:
At this point, your form is complete and you are ready to submit your application. Just click ‘Submit’.
Tanzania Visa Status Check
When you submit your application, you receive an email from Byevisa confirming that it has been received. Once that bridge has been crossed, you can check your eVisas’s status at any time.
To do so, simply click the ‘Log in’ button in our main menu, then enter your contact details and enquiry. You can find out information including:
- the date your application was submitted.
- the processing time you selected.
- the stage your application is currently in.
This way, you will know if your application is pending, approved, or, in very rare cases, was rejected.
Please keep in mind that when your application is approved, Byevisa will send an email directly to your email inbox. As long as you are checking your email regularly, you will know when your application has been approved.
The email Byevisa sends you contains your eVisa as a file attachment. Just click on the file to open, then select File>Print to print it out on paper.
You must take the printed copy with you when you travel. If you misplace it, not to worry, you can print out another copy from your email.
How Much is a Visa for Tanzania?
In most cases, when you apply for a Tanzania and Zanzibar tourist visa with Byevisa, you apply for an ordinary Single Entry authorisation, which has a government cost of 50.00 USD. However, US citizens are required to apply for a Multiple Entry authorisation, which costs 100.00 USD.
In addition to the Tanzania visa cost itself, there is also a fee for using the Byevisa service. The price depends on the processing speed you choose.
- Standard service: Pay 30.00 USD to receive your authorisation in 9 business days.
- Rapid service: Pay 55.00 USD to receive it in 7 business days.
- Highly Rapid service: Pay 85.00 USD to receive it in 5 business days.
More Tanzania eVisa Questions and Information
Have you got some questions you would like to get sorted before you plan your trip? Have a look at our frequently asked questions and put your doubts to rest.
Moreover, if you’re thinking of visiting other countries, check our home page to see the full list of destinations we offer online services for, and apply for your eVisa.