A visa is required. We can assist in processing this document.
Travel Document Type
Byevisa Processing Fee
3 business days
All About the Laos E Visa
If you’re planning to visit the Southeast Asian country of Laos, you’ll be pleased to know that it’s now much easier to apply for and get your visa. With the recently introduced Electronic Visa (eVisa) system, you simply enter a few personal and passport details into our online form, and receive your travel document in your email for you to print and take with you.
This travel authorisation allows you to stay for up to 30 days within its total 60-day validity period. It’s a Single-Entry visa, meaning that you can only enter the country once. So if you plan to go into and then exit Laos repeatedly, perhaps to visit nearby Thailand or Vietnam then return, you need several Laos eVisas. You can only use this eVisa for the purposes of tourism or visiting a relative, not for work or study.
Almost all nationalities are eligible for the Laos eVisa, including the US, UK and EU, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and India.
To obtain your Laos e-Visa, you need a passport that’s valid for at least 6 months from your planned entry date. You also need supporting documents including a scan of your passport’s personal bio page, and a scan of a 4×6 cm photograph. You’ll upload these while you apply.
It takes just a few minutes to apply for your Laos travel visa with Byevisa. Here we tell you how.
What Is the Difference Between an e-Visa vs a Laos Visa On Arrival (VOA)?
The Laos eVisa (Electronic Visa) is a digital method to apply for and obtain your travel pass. You just enter some personal/passport information into our online form, and your travel pass arrives via email in time for you to catch your flight. This frees up time for you to plan what you’ll see and do, and saves you the stress of visiting the nearest embassy or consulate.
With the eVisa system, you can apply from anywhere in the world, whether from your PC, tablet or mobile. It’s altogether an easy and convenient way to get your travel pass in advance.
By comparison, you apply for a Visa on Arrival (VoA) when you arrive after your flight. You may have to join a long queue and check you’ve got all the right supporting documents, when you’d rather be out enjoying Laos. This is a slower, less straightforward method.
Laos Visa Requirements and Eligibility
The citizens of almost all the world’s countries and territories are eligible for this eVisa, including the United States, United Kingdom, European Union, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India. To check if you can apply, use our eligibility checker tool.
To apply for your travel pass, you need the following supporting documents:
- An email address, so that we can send you your eVisa. Please note that you must print a copy of your travel document to take and show to the customs checkpoint.
- A passport that’s valid for at least 6 months from your intended date of entry.
- A scan of your passport’s personal page to upload. Please ensure that this includes the MRZ (the 2 lines at the bottom of the page).
- A scan of your passport’s cover page.
- A scan of a 4×6 cm photograph to upload, in colour and taken in the last 6 months.
You can only apply for this eVisa if you’re visiting for tourism or visiting a relative. If you intend to study, find work or immigrate permanently, then you need an alternative visa. In this case, find out more at your nearest Laos embassy or consulate.
In addition, you can only enter Laos with this travel pass at the following checkpoints:
- Lao – Thai Friendship Bridge I (Vientiane Capital).
- Lao – Thai Friendship Bridge II (Savannakhet Province).
- Luang Prabang International Airport (Luang Prabang).
- Pakse International Airport (Champasack Province).
- Wattay International Airport (Vientiane Capital).
Please note that the Laos eVisa is a landing authorisation, and doesn’t guarantee you automatic entry into the country. This is at the border officials’ discretion. To maximise the chances of being allowed entry, fill in your application form carefully with the correct details.
If you’re arriving from a country at risk of yellow fever, you must be vaccinated before your visit. To see if this applies to you, visit the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) website.
You’re exempt from needing a visa for Laos if you’re a national of one of the following countries:
*For visits up to 14 days.
**For visits up to 15 days.
***For visits up to 30 days.
Lastly, if you’re from one of the following countries, you’re ineligible for this online travel pass. In this case, you need to visit your nearest embassy or consulate to obtain a traditional visa.
Laos Entry Visa Application Process
Here are the steps to follow to obtain your travel authorisation with Byevisa:
1. Enter your nationality and destination (Laos) into the eligibility checker. You’ll see:
- If you’re eligible for this tourist visa.
- The government’s visa fee of 54.34 USD.
- Byevisa’s fastest processing time of 3 business days.
- Our lowest processing fee of 30 USD.
2. Click the Apply button to go to our personal/passport details form. Here you’ll enter some straightforward information to apply for your eVisa, and it takes just a few minutes.
You enter details including your forename and surname, your expected arrival date, plus your passport number and issuing country. For the full list of details you enter, see below in our ‘Laos Visit Visa Requirements and Eligibility’ section.
3. Next you select how fast you want to acquire your Lao travel visa. Byevisa offers the following 3 processing speeds, depending on how much of a rush you’re in:
Standard (7 business days for a 30 USD processing fee), Rapid (5 business days for a 50 USD fee) and Highly Rapid (3 business days for a 70 USD processing fee). As you can see, the fastest you can get your eVisa is in 3 business days, so keep this in mind!
4. Lastly you pay for your application. Byevisa accepts either debit/credit card or PayPal.
That’s all there is to it! You then receive your valid eVisa in your email inbox. Remember to print a copy to take with you, as you’re required to show it at the Laos customs checkpoint.
Laos e-Visa Forms and Documents
1. Please find below the types of personal/passport details you need to enter to obtain your Laos visitor’s visa with Byevisa:
- Your email address, for us to send you your validated travel authorisation.
- The dates that you plan to arrive in and exit the country.
- Your phone number, in case we need to get in touch.
- Your forename and surname.
- Your gender.
- Your nationality, as it shows up on your passport.
- Your date of birth.
- Your country of birth.
- Your current country of residence.
- Your passport number.
- Your passport’s issue date and expiry date.
- The visa you’re applying for (the 30-day Single Entry eVisa for Laos).
- Your port of arrival, whether an international airport or the Lao – Thai friendship bridge (please see our ‘Requirements and Eligibility’ section above for the full list).
- The reason for your trip, whether that’s tourism or visiting a relative. Please note that these are the only 2 valid motivations to apply for the eVisa.
Enter your details for yourself and everyone you’re travelling with. To enter the details for more than one person, you can add an applicant. Note that you must add any children you’re travelling with — they also require their own eVisas to enter the country.
2. Once you’ve entered these details, select how fast you want to obtain your Visa:
- Standard: get it in 7 business days for a 30 USD processing charge.
- Rapid: get it in 5 business days for a 50 USD processing charge.
- Highly Rapid: get it in 3 business days for a 70 USD processing charge.
As you can see, 3 business days is the fastest that you can acquire your travel authorisation. So to ensure that your trip to Laos goes smoothly, don’t leave applying until the very last minute.
3. Pay for your application, either by debit/credit card or PayPal, with these details:
- Your name as it appears on your debit or credit card.
- Your debit or credit card’s number.
- Your debit or credit card’s issue date, and expiry date if appropriate.
- Your debit or credit card’s CVC/CVV 3-digit security code on the back.
Alternatively, to pay by PayPal, enter your username and password, then follow the usual process.
Once you’re done, submit your application and your Laos tourist visa will quickly wing its way to you via email! In the meantime, you can sit back and relax or get on with planning your trip.
e-Visa for Laos Status Check
There is a convenient way to check the status of your application with Byevisa. You can learn:
- If your application has been approved.
- Your eVisa’s initial date, expiry date, and valid days remaining.
- If your application remains pending for approval.
- If your application was rejected, and why if we know.
Click on the Status section at the top of the page and enter these details:
- Your full name.
- Your contact details, so we can reply to you.
- What you’d like to know in detail.
A member of Byevisa’s customer support staff will get back to you as soon as possible.
Please refrain from contacting us if your application remains in its processing timeframe. For example, if you’ve selected our Highly Rapid service to obtain your eVisa in 3 business days, only contact us once 4 business days have passed. Otherwise we’ll still be processing your application!
How Much Is a Laos Visa?
Our processing fees are 30 USD for Standard 7 business days delivery, 50 USD for Rapid 5 business days delivery, and 70 USD for Highly Rapid 3 business days delivery. In addition, the Laos government charges 50.34 USD for the visa.
So in total, how much you pay differs depending which Byevisa processing velocity you choose. For instance, let’s say you choose our Highly Rapid service to acquire your eVisa in 3 business days. In this case you pay 120.34 USD (70 USD Byevisa fee + Laos government’s 50.34 USD fee).
More Laos Entry Visa Questions and Information
Do you want to know more about the travel authorisation to visit this Southeast Asian country? If so, read on, as we’ve compiled some frequently asked questions and answers.