Many Australians visit China every year on vacation to see fascinating cities like Shanghai and Beijing and famous sights like the Great Wall. However, it’s important to know the travel authorisation requirements before you set off on your trip, otherwise you’ll be refused entry at the border.
Australian tourists planning a Chinese holiday need to obtain an L Class visa before they travel to be permitted to enter the country. Byevisa are experts in international visa requirements, so while we cannot help you process the visa at this time, we can bring you all the information you need to make your application. So, read on to learn all you need to know.
- 1 Do I Need a Visa for China From Australia?
- 2 How Much is a Visa for China From Australia?
- 3 How to Get a Visa for China From Australia
- 4 How Long Does It Take to Get a Visa for China From Australia?
- 5 How Long is the Holiday Visa for China From Australia Valid?
- 6 The Facts About Visa Application for China From Australia
- 7 More About Travelling to China
Do I Need a Visa for China From Australia?
In short, yes, you need to apply for a tourist visa if you’re an Australian travelling to China. You must make your application in advance of your trip.
How Much is a Visa for China From Australia?
The visa for China from Australia cost depends on which type you need:
- Single Entry – 70 USD.
- Double Entry – 89 USD.
- Multiple Entry – 6-month visa – 108.25 USD.
- Multiple Entry – 1-year visa – 146.75 USD.
H2: Which Documents Are Needed for a Tourist Visa for China From Australia?
When you make your travel authorisation application you need to supply some documentation. This includes:
- Your original Australian passport with 1 blank page and 6 months’ validity remaining.
- A photocopy of your passport’s photo and data pages.
- A completed application form.
- A passport photo.
- A VEVO, ImmiCard or Visa for any non-Australian applicant with legal status in Australia.
- Your old passport if it was issued after 1/1/15.
- Any previous Chinese visa or passport (if applicable).
- If necessary, official name change documentation if your current passport has a different name to your previous passport.
- Documents to show your itinerary. This includes your return air ticket and proof of accommodation or a letter of invitation from an individual or entity in China.
How to Get a Visa for China From Australia
To obtain your travel visa for China from Australia you must apply via an Chinese Visa Application Service Centre. These are located in several cities nationwide including Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. You must supply all of the above listed documentation along with the completed application form. The form requires certain details including:
- Your last, middle and first names.
- Date of birth and place of birth.
- Passport details.
- Occupation and employment details.
- Home address, email and phone number.
- Family members’ details.
The application can be made in person or via the mail. If you decide to apply by post, you need to include a money order or completed payment authorisation form and a paid return envelope. You must use Express or Registered post with a tracking number. You will then need to wait for several days until your authorisation is processed and issued.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Visa for China From Australia?
Within most cases, your visa will be ready to collect within around 4 working days. If you applied through post, you should receive it in the mail within around 10 working days. Rush and express delivery services are available at an extra fee only if you pick up your documents in person.
How Long is the Holiday Visa for China From Australia Valid?
The validity period of your tourist travel permit depends on which one you choose:
- A Single-Entry authorisation remains valid for 3 months from the issue date.
- A 2-Entry authorisation remains valid for 3-6 months from the issue date.
- A Multiple-Entry authorisation remains valid for 6 months or 1 year from the issue date.
You can request your preferred authorisation type on your application form. However, the Chinese authorities will decide which validity period you will be granted.
The Facts About Visa Application for China From Australia
Hopefully, we have supplied you with the vital details you need to make your application for a tourist travel authorisation for China from Australia. However, you may need more advice, so read on to find out the answers to some common questions.
What Are the Photo Requirements to Apply for a Visa to China From Australia?
You need to submit a single passport photograph along with your Chinese travel authorisation application. Your photo must meet certain requirements including:
- It must be a colour photograph taken in the past 6 months.
- It must measure 48 mm x 33 mm.
- The width of your head must be 15-22 mm.
- The height of your head must be 28-33 mm.
- Your whole face and head must be clearly visible in the frame.
- You should have a neutral expression.
- Your lips must be closed and your eyes open.
- Your ears must be visible.
- Your head must face forward.
- There should be no objects visible.
- Eyeglasses are permitted, but they cannot be tinted or thick-rimmed.
- You should only wear religious head coverings and they should not obscure your facial features.
- There should be no shadows, impurities or damage to the photo.
- There must be no distortions, under or over exposure or red-eye.
- The background must be white or near white.
- There must be no edge frame.
- The photo must be on glossy photo paper.
- There must be no stains, scratches or creases.
Is China Safe for Australian Travellers?
Australian travellers needn’t worry unduly about their safety when visiting China, especially when visiting popular tourist areas. Any type of personal attack is rare, but of course you should always take care in major attractions and in busy locations as pickpocketing and thefts are possible. Women should take extra care if travelling alone, and should never leave their drink unattended or accept a drink from a stranger. It’s also wise to only use official taxis and to avoid hiking alone in isolated areas, even on the Great Wall.
How Many Australians Live in China?
There is quite a substantial Australian expat population in China. At the present time there are over 55,000 Australians, most of whom live in large cities like Shanghai.
How to Call China From Australia
Your friends and family members may need to speak to you while you’re travelling on your Chinese holiday, or you may need to telephone your hotel or travel operator in China before you depart. Therefore, knowing how to place a telephone call is important. You need to dial 0011 – 86, then dial the area code and the number you are trying to contact in order to get through.
More About Travelling to China
We hope you’re now ready to apply for your Chinese travel authorisation. However, should you need more guidance, you can visit our Chinese visas page by clicking here. For additional information about visiting China, click here.