Planning an exciting voyage to France? From the cobblestones of Paris to the countryside of Provence, wherever you go, you’re sure to fall in love with this charming country. France will delight your taste buds with its Bordeaux wines, its rich dishes, sweet pastries and so much more. Discover more about the home of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Moulin Rouge:
- France is the largest country in the EU with a total area of 551,695 sq km (248,573 sq mi). It is sometimes called ‘the hexagon’ because of its 6-sided shape.
- France ranks as the most visited destination in the world. Tourists flock here not just to Paris to see sights like the Arc de Triomphe and visit attractions like Disneyland, but also to the French coast. The country’s coastline totals 3427 km including stunning St.Tropez and the rocky isle of Corsica.
- The French capital is Paris, one of the planet’s most iconic cities. It is the third most visited city in the world, behind Bangkok and London. Famed for its artists and high culture, The Louvre in Paris is the world’s most visited art museum.
- French is the official language and the first language of 88% of the population. It is known as being one of the world’s most romantic languages. English is widely spoken in tourist areas.
- Around a third of France is forest and Brittany’s forest of Broceliande is one of its most legendary ones. Europe’s highest mountain Mont Blanc is also found here, in the French Alps.
- France has approximately 170 airports. Many of them are located close to the Mediterranean Sea. However, the largest airports are situated around the capital. Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (airport code: CDG), also known as Roissy Airport, is one of the busiest airports in Europe.
Read on to find more useful information for travellers heading to the land of ‘liberty, equality, fraternity’!