Planning an adventure to the “Land of a Million Elephants”? With its diverse geography and people, you are sure to find Laos a fascinating place to visit. Before you head to this landlocked country, here are some useful facts to help you plan your trip.
- The main international aviation hub is Wattay International Airport. Its airport code is VTE and it is located just 3 km outside the country’s capital city, Vientiane.
- The currency of Laos is the kip (currency code LAK). The banknotes currently in circulation are 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 and 100,000 LAK. No coins are currently in use. The US dollar and Thai baht are also widely accepted in Laos.
- Laos is home to the largest waterfall in Southeast Asia, Pha Pheng which is located near the border with Cambodia. In the southern part of the country, you can also visit Wat Phou, the “mountain temple”.
- The coffee in Laos is delicious. In fact, coffee is this country’s biggest export. Many traditional dishes in Laos include sticky rice which is typically rolled into a ball and dipped in a sauce.
- Laos is an ethnically and linguistically diverse nation. Although its official language is Lao, many different dialects are spoken across various ethnic groups. Anyone who works with tourists will speak English and French is common too.
- 67% of the population are Theravada Buddhists. The golden Buddhist monument Pha That Luang, located in Vientiane, is a symbol of the nation. It is featured in the country’s official seal.
Learn more about this Southeast Asian hidden gem in our articles below!