Known for its beautiful sunny beaches, this Central European and Mediterranean country shares a long maritime border with Italy in the Adriatic Sea. Dive into this destination with these fun and useful facts:
- Top sites for visitors include the capital city of Zagreb, the coastal cities of Dubrovnik and Split, the islands of Krk and Hvar, and the stunning Plitvice Lakes National Park.
- Although Croatia is part of the European Union, it does not yet use the euro. The Croatian currency is the kuna (code: HRK). 1 kuna is divided into 100 lipas.
- The official language is Croatian. Some good words to know are ‘bok’ for ‘hello’, ‘molim’ for ‘please’, and ‘hvala’ for ‘thank you’.
- The time zone in Croatia is Central European Standard Time (GMT+1). This is 1 hour ahead of London and 6 hours ahead of New York.
- There are 9 different international airports, so you can compare and contrast ticket prices to different locations. The busiest airports are in Zagreb (airport code: ZAG), Split (SPU), Dubrovnik (DBV) and Zadar (ZAD).
- Don’t forget your sunscreen! Croatia is one of the sunniest destinations in Europe.
Find out more about this beautiful country in the articles below.