This small island nation in the East Mediterranean is a popular tourist destination for beach lovers, scuba divers, and history buffs. Here are some quick facts to know before you jet off:
- Cyprus has more than 60 beaches that have been awarded a Blue Flag for high environmental and quality standards.
- There are many archaeological sites, monasteries and museums to visit. The ancient Paphos mosaics are among the most beautiful that can be seen today.
- Cyprus is one of 4 EU countries that drives on the left side of the road. The others are the UK, Ireland and Malta.
- You will hear a mixture of Greek, Turkish and English during your time here. Most Cypriots speak English, so you should have no problem communicating during your trip.
- Nicosia has been the capital of Cyprus since the 10th century. It is the southernmost capital of an EU Member State.
- The time zone here is GMT+2. This is 7 hours ahead of New York and 2 hours ahead of London.
Find more details about travelling to Cyprus in the articles below.