Famous for its football, food, and its flamboyant culture, Spain is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world! Millions of travellers visit here each year for relaxing beach holidays, exciting city breaks, and more. From the island of Majorca to the capital Madrid, this is a country that will captivate you and leave you wanting more.Here are some useful travel facts to help you plan a sojourn to sunny Spain!
- Spain is located on the Iberian Peninsula, in the southwest corner of Europe. It shares the peninsula with Portugal but occupies the majority of it. Spain also borders France to the north.
- The nation is made up of 17 autonomous regions with diverse geography and distinct cultures. There are also 2 autonomous cities located on the north coast of Africa: Ceuta and Melilla.
- Spanish is the second language in the world with more native speakers. Although Spanish is the majority language here, there are 4 co-official languages: Catalan, Basque, Galician, and Aranese.
- Spain has around 3,000 hours of sunshine every year so bring your sun cream. Popular beach destinations here include the Costa del Sol and the Costa Brava. Off the mainland, you can visit beautiful Spanish islands like the world-famous Ibiza, Lanzarote, Menorca, or Tenerife.
- The country boasts 44 UNESCO World Heritage Sites and has produced some of the most famous artists in the world. The Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona is the most visited site in Spain.
- Around 60% of the population identify as Catholic. Semana Santa (Holy Week) is the largest annual religious celebration in Spain.
Find out more about this laidback and fun-loving southwestern European country in our selection of travel articles below.