Visit South Africa
Do you intend to travel to South Africa sometime soon? The top cities in this country, located on the African continent’s southernmost tip, include Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria. Here are more useful travel facts to know before you go:
- South Africa’s biggest airports include OR Tambo International (3-letter code: JNB), serving Johannesburg, and Cape Town International (3-letter code: CPT), serving Cape Town.
- This country’s currency is the rand (currency code: ZAR). If you intend to buy rand once you arrive, you’re best bringing US dollars, euros or British pounds, as these are easiest to exchange.
- English is South Africa’s language of business, media and tourism. However, Zulu is the country’s most common first language, spoken by 23% of the local population, followed by Xhosa, spoken by 16% of people.
- Top experiences to enjoy in this country include going on safari to see ‘Big 5’ animals like lions and elephants. You can also visit the savannah, check out the country’s famed vineyards or spot some great white sharks!
- South Africa’s international dial code is +27, while its time zone is GMT+2 (South Africa Standard Time). Depending on where you’re travelling from, be sure to take the time difference into account!
- South Africa’s cuisine reflects the country’s status as a cultural melting pot. As such, you’ll find indigenous African dishes, plus plates with British, French, Dutch or Indian influences.
You can find out more about South Africa ahead of your trip in our articles below.