Dreaming of escaping to the island paradise of the Maldives? With its white-sand beaches and crystal clear waters, this diving hotspot is the perfect place for a carefree getaway. Read on for more fascinating facts about the world’s lowest and flattest destination.
- More than 1,000 individual islands in the Indian Ocean form the archipelagic state known as the Maldives. It is located southwest of India and Sri Lanka and around 700 km from mainland Asia.
- To get to the Maldives, you will first fly into Male International Airport (MLE). You then need to take a seaplane or a speed boat to reach your resort (this will take 45 mins – 1.5 hrs depending on the resort).
- Things to do: Snorkelling and diving trips to see unique marine life are popular activities. You can also take sunset cruises, visit local islands and attend traditional Maldivian performances.
- The local currency is the Maldivian rufiyaa; however, US dollars are widely accepted. This is a luxurious destination and prices are generally high to reflect the quality of the tourist offer.
- Islam is the state religion and it is important for tourists to respect the local laws and culture. Do not bring any pork or alcohol products into the country, and be aware of local dress when visiting beaches outside your resort.
- The official language is Dhivehi, an Indo-Aryan language similar to Sinhalese in Sri Lanka. Many Maldivians speak and understand English too.
Find out more about visa requirements and other useful information for travellers dreaming of holidaying here!