Please note that, at the time of writing, UK citizens are eligible to enter Cyprus visa-free for up to 90 days in a 6-month period.
However, Cyprus is expected to join the upcoming ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) scheme, a visa waiver that Brits will need to enter Cyprus once the ETIAS goes live in late 2022. This article focuses on the ETIAS.
Are you a Brit planning to visit the Eastern Mediterranean island of Cyprus in the near future? If so, you’ll already know that there’s lots to do here, including visiting the Tomb of the Kings, sunbathing on Nissi Beach and checking out the famed rock of Petra tou Romiou (Aphrodite’s Rock
Of course, before you explore Akamas National Park or the Adonis Waterfalls, you’ll need to arrange your travel documents first. So, do you need a visa for Cyprus from the UK? Well, as of late 2022, you must acquire what’s called the ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa waiver to visit this beautiful island, yes.
The ETIAS allows you to visit here for up to 90 days in a 6-month period. It permits Multiple Entries and is valid for up to 3 years from the date of issue. So you won’t have to apply for a visa waiver each time you want to catch some rays in Paphos or Larnaca, fortunately!
Unlike a traditional visa, applying for the ETIAS is entirely online to make it easy for you. You simply require a passport that’s valid for 6 months from your date of entry, and to fill in the online form, including the EU’s health and security-related questions.
Applying for your ETIAS to visit Cyprus as a UK citizen is a cinch with Byevisa. Here we walk you through it!
- 1 ETIAS Vs Traditional Visa for Cyprus From the UK
- 2 Steps for the Cyprus Visa Application From the UK
- 3 Cyprus Visa Requirements From the UK
- 4 What Are the Cyprus Visa Fees From the UK?
- 5 Travelling Here as a Brit
- 6 UK Embassy and Consulate in Cyprus
- 7 Visa to Cyprus From the UK FAQs
- 8 Full Information to Apply for the ETIAS
ETIAS Vs Traditional Visa for Cyprus From the UK
There are lots of advantages to obtaining this Cyprus visa UK travel document over a traditional paper visa.
To start with, applying for the ETIAS is a wholly online process. So you can apply from any internet-connected device, whether that’s your computer, tablet or smartphone. Also, you can apply wherever you are, whether that’s on your sofa or at your desk!
This is way more convenient than if you had to visit the nearest Cypriot embassy to queue up and apply for your visa by hand.
Moreover, once your visa waiver application is approved, it arrives directly in your email inbox. Then, when you go to the airport, you simply scan your passport like you normally do to gain entry. So there’s no need to carefully guard any paper documents for when you go through customs either!
Steps for the Cyprus Visa Application From the UK
If you’re wondering how to get your visa to Cyprus from the UK, it couldn’t be easier. Simply take the following steps:
- Check that your passport has at least 6 months left from your planned travel date.
- Click ‘Apply for ETIAS’ and enter your personal and passport details into our form.
- Choose between our Standard, Rapid and Highly Rapid processing speeds.
- Pay for your application by debit or credit card, or by PayPal.
- Click ‘Submit’ and wait for your authorisation to arrive in your email inbox.
- There’s no need to print your ETIAS, as it’s electronically linked to your passport!
Cyprus Visa Requirements From the UK
As mentioned above, the entry requirements to obtain your Cyprus visa for UK citizens are short and sweet. You just need:
- A passport that’s valid for at least 6 months from your planned date of entry.
- Your personal and passport details, such as your full name and passport number.
- A valid email address where we’ll send your approved application.
- To answer the EU’s health and security-related queries for Europe’s databases.
- A payment method, such as a debit or credit card or a PayPal account.
Applying for your ETIAS takes just 10 minutes. Once it’s approved, your travel document is valid for 3 years or when your passport expires, whichever comes first. If your passport expires, you must first obtain a new one, then apply for a new ETIAS.
Notably, you can use the ETIAS to visit both this island as well as the members of the Schengen Zone. For example, this includes Greece to the north-west!
What Are the Cyprus Visa Fees From the UK?
The ETIAS costs just 7 EUR. However, adults over 70 and children under 18 are exempt from paying, which is useful if you’re travelling with your family.
You’ll also pay Byevisa’s processing fee, which varies depending on whether you choose our Standard, Rapid or Highly Rapid service.
Travelling Here as a Brit
Here are some useful facts to help you plan your trip to this Mediterranean island paradise:
- If you’re flying here, you’ll typically arrive at either Larnaca International Airport (3-letter code: LCA) or Paphos International Airport (3-letter code: PFA). The former is located some 4 km from the town of Larnaca, while the latter is 6.5 km southeast of the city of Paphos.
- Direct flights here from the UK are available from many major British cities, including London, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow. Flight time is around 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- This island is in the Eurozone, so the local currency is the euro. You can obtain euros either before or after arriving here, although it’s advisable to shop around for the best exchange rate.
- The time zone here is GMT+2 (Eastern European Standard Time), 2 hours ahead of the UK. So be sure to factor this into any reservations you make! On the bright side, you shouldn’t suffer any jet lag.
- This country is one of the most popular holiday destinations for Brits, and some 1.3 million Britons visit the island each year. As such, you can feel confident that you’ll feel safe and secure here, as the island boasts well-developed tourist services and infrastructure.
UK Embassy and Consulate in Cyprus
The British High Commission in Nicosia, the capital, is located at:
Alexander Pallis Street
PO Box 21978
The Commission’s telephone number is +357 22 861 100. The Commission is open from Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
You can contact the Commission if, for example, you’ve misplaced your passport and require a temporary travel document to return home. They’re also available if you need urgent help.
Visa to Cyprus From the UK FAQs
By now you should feel confident about applying for your ETIAS visa waiver with Byevisa! If you’d like to learn more, though, read on for extra useful information.
Can All Britons Travel Here?
Yes, all Brits can travel here, so long as you meet the minimum entry requirements explained above.
Is it Safe for Brits to Travel Here?
Yes. Hundreds of thousands of Brits visit this island every year without experiencing any problems. Just be sure to use your common sense, like you would at home.
How Many Britons Live Here?
Around 50,000-70,000 Britons reside on this island permanently, with most living in the Paphos district. The island is a popular retirement destination as well as a place for a holiday!
What Is the Cyprus Visa Processing Time From the UK?
The processing time for your visa for Cyprus from the UK depends on the Byevisa service you select. You can choose between our Standard, Rapid and Highly Rapid services.
Fun Facts Before Travelling Here From the UK
- First, the whole of the Paphos district is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Second, this island’s beaches are consistently named as some of the cleanest in Europe.
- Lastly, the world’s oldest perfume reportedly dates back to Cyprus 4,000 years ago, scented with bay, coriander, lavender, pine and rosemary!
What Visa Requirements Are There for Other Nations for Brits?
Are you travelling to more countries as well as Cyprus? In this case, you’ll want to know what entry regulations exist for every destination on your itinerary. This will give you a helping hand as you plan your journey. With this in mind, check our visa requirements for British citizens page for all these details.