19th Ave New York, NY 95822, USA

Tips for Immigration to Thailand

Thailand Immigration

If you’re planning to start a new life in the Land of Smiles, it will help you to know the steps to take to immigrate, the forms to fill in and the requirements to comply with. Fortunately, we’ve got your covered with our guide to immigration to Thailand. Read on to learn how to migrate to one of the jewels of Southeast Asia!

What Are the Requirements to Migrate?

To start with, to immigrate to Thailand you must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least 3 years before submitting your application. You must have a non-immigrant visa when you apply. Finally, you must meet one of the 5 statuses to apply for Permanent Residence (PR) in Thailand:

  • Investment
  • Work or business
  • Family support
  • Academic
  • “Others” determined by the Thai Immigration Service

What Thai Immigration Forms Are There?

There are 12 different forms available:

  • TM2 – Information of conveyance.
  • TM3 – Passenger list.
  • TM7- Application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom.
  • TM8 – Application for re-entry permit into the kingdom.
  • TM13 – Application for endorsement of the re-entry permit.
  • TM18 – Application of residence for immigrants.
  • TM20 – Application for substitute of Certificate of Residence.
  • TM25 – Application for extension of temporary stay during resident consideration.
  • TM28 – Form for aliens to notify their change of address or their stay in the province for over 24 hours.
  • TM30 – Notification form for housemaster, owner or possessor of the residence where alien has stayed.
  • TM47 – Form for aliens to notify of staying longer than 90 days.
  • TM87 – Application for visa.

Visa application forms can be quite complex. If you’re visiting Thailand on holiday and need the tourist eVisa before you migrate, visit our dedicated page about the Thai visitor visa.

What Is the TM30 Form Online?

This form is in reference to all non-Thai nationals living within the country and applies to all who provide accommodation to non-Thai residents. This form is to declare that you are providing accommodation to a non-Thai immigrant.

What Is the TM7 Form?

The TM7 form is a form used to extend any permit to stay in Thailand no matter if it’s for a short-term or long-term extension.

What Is the TM28 Form?

A TM28 form is used under the Section 37 (C) law. This form is to make the government aware of any resident who has stayed away from their registered address for more than 24 hours.

What Is the TM47 Form?

The TM47 form is used to notify the Thai Immigration Service of an extended stay of longer than 90 days. For example, foreigners staying for work, marriage or retirement.

What Is the TM8 Form?

A TM8 form is an application of re-entry to the country and is to be submitted to the Thai Embassy.

What Is the TM6 Form?

This is a frequently used form. Every foreigner entering the country is required to complete the TM6; this is an arrival card which will be submitted to an officer when you arrive at the airport.

What Is the Certificate of Residence in Thailand?

A Certificate of Residence is a document that states you are officially living in the country. This document includes your residential details whether it be any of the following: apartment, house, guesthouse or hotel.

What Is the Re-Entry Permit Form in Thailand?

The re-entry permit form is used for visitors of Thailand to leave there in order to go on holiday, business trips etc. The visitor is then able to re-enter Thailand on the same visa without losing days available on the visa or having to apply for a new visa.

What Is the Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand?

The form you will require to extend your stay in the Kingdom of Thailand is the aforementioned TM7 form. This form can be used for short- or long-term extensions.

What Are the Thai Retirement Visa Renewal Forms?

The Thai retirement visa renewal form is also known as the Non-Immigrant O-Long Stay Visa. You must meet some simple requirements including that:

  • You must be in Thailand for 60 days before submitting the form.
  • You must provide proof of address within Thailand.
  • You must submit all documents to the Thai embassy.

What Is the 90 Days Report in Thailand?

A 90 days report is required for those not in possession of a Non-Immigrant visa, or those wishing to extend their stay. You can apply 15 days before, but no later than 7 days after expiration.

Can I Apply Online for the 90 Days Report?

You can only apply online if this is the second 90 days report or more on your existing visa. Prior to this, you must apply by mail or in person. The 90 days report form is essential.

What Documents Do I Need to Attach to a 90 Days Report?

90 days report documents are:

  • Photocopy of your arrival and departure cards for Thailand.
  • Photocopies of your valid passport pages showing:
    • Your personal information
    • Valid Thai visa
    • Latest entry stamp
    • Latest Thai visa extension
    • 90-day previous extension (if you have one)
  • Your 90-day report form.
  • If applying by mail, a self-addressed and stamped envelope (postage 10 baht).

Where Are the Main Immigration Offices in Thailand?

These Thai offices are located in over 60 towns and cities. Refer to Google Maps to find one near you:


At this point you should have a better idea of the steps you’ll need to migrate here as well as the necessary forms. If you have further questions, we’ve provided the answers to some frequently asked questions below.

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Phuket?

There are 2 offices for immigration and naturalisation in Phuket.

  • 482 Phuket Rd, Tambon Talat Yai, Mueang Phuket District, Phuket 83000, Thailand. Closes 4pm local time.
  • Pa Tong, Kathu District, Phuket 83150, Thailand. Closes 2pm local time.

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Bangkok?

Immigration Bangkok is located at Bldg B, Government Centre, Soi 7, Th Chaeng Watthana, Bangkok. Opening hours do vary, so telephone beforehand on 02 141 9889.

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Pattaya?

Immigration Pattaya is one of the busy offices in Thailand, due to the beautiful location. It is found here:

Soi 5 Moo 12, Jomtien Beach Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 2015Tel: 038 252 750. Closed 4.30pm local time.

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Chiang Mai?

Chiang Mai location is:

71 ถนนสนามบิน Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand.

Unfortunately, there’s no English translation! Do not go to the old address, as they moved out in 2020. Traffic here is very heavy, so be aware. A word of advice; queues at the Immigration Office Chiang Mai are lengthy and waiting times reach up to 4 hours. Getting an appointment online can take time too.

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Chaengwattana?

Chaengwattana Immigration is at the Government Office, B Thung Song Hong, Lak Si, Bangkok 10210. This journey will probably involve a taxi, as it is not near a train station. Phone: 02-1419889, Opening Times: Monday- Friday: 8.30-12.00 and 13.00-16.30

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Chonburi?

This is in Pattaya. Location: Government Office, No. 75/265, Moo 12, Jomtien Beach Road, Soi 5 Nong Prue Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi Province. It’s an often-busy location with limited parking.

Where Do I Go for Immigration in Nonthaburi?

This office is located on the environs of busy Bangkok, Nonthaburi and is found at:

Nonthaburi Immigration Office 954 หมู่ที่ 1 ซอยร่วมมิตร Nakhon In Rd, Bang Khanun, Bang Kruai District, Nonthaburi 11130, Thailand. There may be queues.

What Is the www.immigration.go.th Website?

This website is an informative site relating to visas, immigration and other matters concerning those wishing to travel to Thailand or take up residency. There is other information regarding the latest news, plus the addresses and telephone numbers for government buildings.

What Is the www.immigration-Thai Website?

There is not strictly a website called this, but if you search for this, you will find several sites including government ones. Here are 2 helpful sites.

  • Immigration Bureau
  • Thai Immigration

You can also refer to your own government’s information for immigration from most countries.

What Is the Notification of Residence in Thailand Online?

Notification of residence in the country must be completed (TM30 form) online by all foreign nationals either directly or by the owner of the property where they are staying. It can be completed online, or by visiting the local police station or Bangkok Immigration Offices. You have the responsibility to ensure that you do this.

What Is the Residence Certificate for Chiang Mai?

This is necessary if you intend to stay in Chiang Mai long term. A residence certificate for Chang Mai may be needed for certain purchases, opening bank accounts or obtaining a driving licence etc. You will also need proof of address.

What Is the Residence Certificate for Bangkok?

A residence certificate for Bangkok or any other location is a confirmation letter showing that you do reside at the address you have provided.

What Is the Proof of Address in the Country?

The proof of address is completed with a TM18 form. Immigration offices vary on what they require, but it is usually copies of passport information, 2 photos, proof of where you are staying (hotel, apartment etc). Be prepared to wait while this is sorted out at the offices.

What Is the Thailand Immigration Card?

This card (also known as arrival card TM6) must be filled in on arrival in the country. If travelling by plane, these are normally distributed by the crew before landing.

Where to Print Documents in Bangkok?

Some hotels will allow you to print documents, but if not, there are internet cafes and shopping malls with this facility.

What Are the Immigration Thailand Opening Hours?

These opening hours vary, even when they publish them online. Each office operates its own hours, so it is best to check by phone before setting out!

We hope that, with this information, you’re now closer to fulfilling your dream of moving to this fabulous Southeast Asian country! Whether you’re migrating to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya or Phuket, you’re sure to enjoy your time there. To find out more, you can read our guides to travel insurance for Thailand and Thai airports.

Related Answers

Rate this
0/5 - 0 votes