Are you a US citizen intending to visit the Sultanate of Oman in the foreseeable future? If so, it may please you to learn that, in February 2018, the Royal Oman Police (ROP) introduced an Electronic Visa (eVisa) system to obtain your travel pass to enter this country.
This eVisa system makes obtaining your visa far easier than in the past, as you apply for and obtain your document online via any internet-connected device. So it’s much quicker and simpler than visiting the embassy or applying at customs when you arrive.
The Sultanate offers 2 eVisas for American visitors, so you can apply for the one that’s appropriate for you. These are, namely:
- Single Entry eVisa for visits up to 30 days, and valid for 30 days.
- Multiple Entry eVisa for visits up to 30 days each, and valid for 1 year.
To apply, you need supporting documentation including a passport that’s valid for at least 6 months after your date of arrival. You also require a confirmed hotel booking and proof of your return or onward ticket out of this country to present when you arrive here.
Here we tell you how to apply for your visa to Oman for US citizens with Byevisa’s easy service. Read on!
- 1 e-Visa Vs Oman Visa on Arrival for US Citizens
- 2 Oman Visa Application Process for US Travellers
- 3 Oman Visa Requirements for US Citizens
- 4 Oman Visa Fee for US Citizens
- 5 Travelling to Oman as an American
- 6 USA Embassy and Consulate in Oman
- 7 Oman Visa for US Citizens FAQ
- 8 More Information About Visiting Oman
e-Visa Vs Oman Visa on Arrival for US Citizens
There are many advantages of applying for an Electronic Visa over an old-fashioned Visa on Arrival (VoA).
First, you can apply for your eVisa anywhere you like, whether that’s your home, office or on the move. So you don’t have to wait until your flight lands to obtain your travel document, which saves you stress and worry ahead of your trip.
Second, with Byevisa’s convenient online form, you straightforwardly enter your personal and passport details on your computer, tablet or mobile. So there’s no need to fill in long forms by hand with pen and paper, which makes obtaining your visa far easier.
Third, with the eVisa, you won’t have to join any long queues at customs to obtain the VoA either. Instead, you can sail right through to start your holiday!
Oman Visa Application Process for US Travellers
Do US citizens need a visa for Oman? Yes, you do. Fortunately, to apply for your Oman eVisa as an American with Byevisa is easy as pie. Here are the steps to take:
- Compile the necessary supporting documents listed below.
- Click on which eVisa you require (valid for 90 days or 1 year).
- Fill in your personal and passport details in our convenient form.
- Select your processing speed, from our Standard, Rapid and Highly Rapid options.
- Make your payment, whether by credit or debit card, or PayPal.
- Click ‘Submit’ and wait for your eVisa to arrive in your email inbox.
- Print a copy of your travel document to take with you. Bon voyage!
Oman Visa Requirements for US Citizens
To apply for the Oman tourist visa for US citizens, you require the following:
- A passport that’s valid for at least 6 months after your date of arrival.
- A confirmed hotel booking (to show at customs when you arrive).
- A confirmed return or onward ticket (also to show at customs).
- A valid email address where you’ll receive your eVisa.
Fortunately, you can apply for your visa before you book your accommodation or plane tickets. This is because you need only show your hotel booking and return or onward flight confirmation at customs when you arrive.
You must also comply with the following conditions:
- You must be outside the Sultanate at the time of application.
- You must not have another current visa from this country.
- You must be travelling for the purpose of tourism.
- You must use your eVisa to enter this country within 1 month of its approval date.
Moreover, even if you’re not a US citizen, you’re eligible to apply for the eVisa if you hold a passport from another country and a valid residence permit or visa from the USA.
Oman Visa Fee for US Citizens
This country’s eVisas cost the following:
- Single Entry, 30-day visit, valid for 90 days: 52 USD.
- Multiple Entry, visits up to 30 days, valid for 1 year: 130 USD.
In addition, Byevisa’s processing fees are:
- Standard (4 business days) for 30 USD.
- Rapid: (2 business days) for 60 USD.
- Highly Rapid (1 business day) for 90 USD.
So the total you pay is a combination of the visa for Oman for US citizens and the processing speed you select.
Travelling to Oman as an American
Top tourist sites here include the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, the Jebel Shams for hiking and off-roading, and Wadi Ash Shab for desert adventure. This gives you a starting point to plan your trip!
According to recent figures, the sultanate welcomes around 3.5 million visitors a year, so the country is increasingly developing its tourism infrastructure for your ease and comfort.
If you’re flying here, you’ll typically arrive at Muscat International Airport (3-letter code: MCT). This was formerly called Seeb International Airport and is located some (20 miles) 32 kilometres from Muscat, the capital of Oman. A taxi from the airport to the city centre costs around 8 USD.
Clearly, the flight time will depend on where in the USA you’re flying from. If you’re journeying from New York, flights typically have at least 1 layover and take about 21 hours. If you’re coming from Los Angeles, flights usually have at least 1 layover and take around 24 hours.
In addition, it’s possible to arrive at Muscat by cruise ship. Typically, this forms part of a cruise around the Persian Gulf region, including to United Arab Emirates states such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
USA Embassy and Consulate in Oman
The US embassy in this country is located at:
Madinat Al Sultan Qaboos
The embassy’s telephone number is +968 2464 3400. The embassy is closed on both US and Oman national holidays.
You might wish to visit the embassy if, for example, you’ve misplaced your passport and require a temporary travel document to exit this country. You can also ask the embassy for emergency financial assistance if required.
For more details, visit our US Embassy in Oman page.
Oman Visa for US Citizens FAQ
By now you should have all the information you require to apply for your Oman eVisa for US citizens with Byevisa. Just in case, though, we’ve compiled the answers to some frequently asked questions below!
Can All Americans Travel Here?
Yes, all Americans are eligible to visit, so long as you have the required supporting documents and meet the entry conditions. In addition, you can also visit if you hold a different passport and a US visa or residence permit.
Is it Safe for Americans to Travel Here?
Certainly. Millions of visitors travel here each year and very few report any problems. Just exercise your common sense, such as not flashing any cash or expensive jewellery.
Fun Facts Before Travelling to Oman From the US
Ready for some fun facts? First, Oman is the oldest independent state in the Arab world. Second, the country’s national animal is the Arabian Oryx, a long-horned antelope. Third, the Al Said family has ruled this country since 1744, the world’s longest-running Arab dynasty!
More Information About Visiting Oman
To learn more about travelling to the sultanate before you go, head to our Visit Oman page. We hope you have a fantastic trip!