Organising a vacation to the United Kingdom? Whether you are planning on visiting London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast, you are in for a treat.
Want to set the wheels in motion to make your dream trip a reality? You first need to find out how to apply for your travel documentation. Rather than worrying about how to apply for a UK visa in Nigeria, have a read of our handy guide. Here we walk you through the process and answer all the common questions that we are asked about this travel authorisation.
- 1 Do I Need a Visa for the United Kingdom?
- 2 How to Apply for UK Visa Online in Nigeria
- 3 Requirements to Apply for UK Visa in Nigeria
- 4 How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a UK Visa in Nigeria?
- 5 Your Questions Answered About Travelling to the United Kingdom
- 6 Full Information on Travelling to the United Kingdom
Do I Need a Visa for the United Kingdom?
Yes, all Nigeria nationals need to apply for an official UK travel authorisation to be able to visit this country as a tourist. You can apply for a UK visa online in Nigeria and upload the required documents. Once this is complete, you must visit an application centre in Nigeria to get your biometrics taken and your application authorised. Byevisa is not yet able to offer this service, so you need to apply directly through the British government website.
How to Apply for UK Visa Online in Nigeria
Wondering how to apply for a UK visa in Nigeria? We have broken it down for you below. The good news is that it is a straightforward process to follow. You simply submit your online application via the government website and include the following information:
- Your full name and gender.
- Your date and place of birth.
- Your current country of residence and nationality.
- Entry and exit dates of your trip.
- Selected visa you wish to apply for: 30 days (standard), 2 years, 5 years or 10 years.
You also need to provide the following supporting documents as evidence:
- Travel documents that show you are due to leave on the date you have specified.
- Scan of your passport bio page.
- Financial evidence that shows you can afford the trip.
You can either scan and upload these documents yourself or the application centre can do this on your behalf for a fee. When you submit your application, you will be provided with a reference number and can then arrange an appointment at the application centre. There are 3 application centres in Nigeria to choose from: Abuja, Lagos Ikeja, Lagos Victoria Island. Each of these centres is run by TLS Contact.
When you go to the application centre, you need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken. This process must be undertaken by all travellers in your party except for children under 5, who need to attend the appointment but will not have biometric data taken, just a photo.
Requirements to Apply for UK Visa in Nigeria
As well as applying for your standard visitor visa, you need to adhere to the UK requirements set out below:
- You must have a genuine intention to visit as a tourist and cannot come to the UK to work with this type of travel authorisation.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from your date of arrival.
- You must demonstrate your intention to leave at the end of your trip by showing the confirmation of your travel.
The British immigration service is keen to admit any genuine tourists into the country but will refuse anyone that does not adhere to the requirements listed above.
How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a UK Visa in Nigeria?
The cost to get your travel authorisation to the UK is dependent on the type of visa you decide to apply for. The current prices are listed below for your convenience:
- Standard Visa, 30 days: 118 USD.
- Long-Term Standard Visa, 2 Years: 450 USD.
- Long-Term Standard Visa, 5 Years: 816 USD.
- Long-Term Standard Visa, 10 Years: 1024 USD.
Your Questions Answered About Travelling to the United Kingdom
We hope our guide has given you the information you need to start your application for your travel authorisation for the UK. We know that organising a vacation can be difficult, and so we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions below.
How Long Will it Take for My Application to be Processed?
After you have attended your appointment at the application centre, you can expect your application decision to take around 3 weeks in total. There is an option to pay an extra fee to get your visa within 5 days or 24 hours. However, this is only possible if the application centre you visit can offer these options when you attend your appointment.
Is It Safe for Tourists to Visit Britain?
The United Kingdom is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations and visitors can expect to feel safe here. You will, however, need to be careful about pickpockets in crowded areas such as train stations, particularly in big cities like London. Secure your valuables when you’re out and about or leave them in your hotel room if they’re not essential.
Can I Extend My Stay in Britain?
If you want to stay in Britain after your intended exit date, then you need to apply to extend your stay via the online system. Once you submit your application, you will need to take the documents you used in your initial application to a UKVCAS centre. When there, you will have your biometric data retaken, and then a decision will be made within 2 days of your application. It costs 1254 USD to apply for this and a further 1010 USD if you want the decision within 24 hours.
Can I Study in the UK With a Standard Visa?
If your main reason for entering Britain is tourism, then you can also spend up to 30 days studying. However, if you want to enter the country for educational purposes, then you need to apply for a study visa online via the UK Government site. This study visa will have to cover the amount of time you plan on spending in the country for educational purposes.
Full Information on Travelling to the United Kingdom
If you are travelling to the UK, then head over to our dedicated page by clicking here.