19th Ave New York, NY 95822, USA

Visa for Hong Kong From Australia

Hong Kong visa for Australian citizens

Holidays are an exciting prospect that we all look forward to, but to have the best holiday possible then you need to be well organised. Byevisa is here to help you find out if you need a visa to Hong Kong from Australia and how you go about navigating the paperwork process.

Read through each phase of planning your paperwork and explain the costs, the requirements, and any other pertinent information so that you know what to do without needing to rely on a range of sources. Let Byevisa help you to sort out your visa for Hong Kong from Australia and answer the questions that you need help with.

Do You Need A Tourist Visa for Hong Kong From Australia?

Currently, there is no requirement for tourists to get an Australia to Hong Kong visa as you can enter the country visa-free for 90 days. You can use this waiver to visit for tourist purposes and some business purposes too, such as attending business meetings and visiting production facilities that are located in the country.

Requirements for a Hong Kong Visa – Australian Passport Holder

Despite not needing an Australia tourist visa, this country does operate some specific entry requirements that you must follow to be given permission to enter the country. The current requirements are as follows:

  • Your passport should have 1 full month’s validity on it from the date you exit the country.
  • You need to show that you have adequate funds to cover your trip. Byevisa would suggest that it is wise to make copies of your bank statements to show that you have enough to travel for the duration of your holiday.
  • You must prove your intention to leave at the end of your trip by showing proof of your onward travel either to your next destination or back to Australia.

Each of these requirements is assessed by an immigration official when you arrive, and your passport is stamped on entry to show that you have cleared through and can begin to enjoy your vacation.

Hong Kong Working Holidays

Every year, authorities grant 5,000 Working Holiday Scheme admissions to young Australians aged between 18 – 30 who want to spend up to 12 months holidaying in this country and to seek part-time employment or study when they are there.

There are some specific requirements that must be adhered to in order to join the Working Holiday Scheme, and these include:

  • Holding a valid Australian passport for the length of your stay and 1 month after you have left.
  • Your main reason for visiting is to enjoy a holiday.
  • You have enough money (no less than 20,000 HKD) to stay by showing your statement from the account that has your money in it.
  • You have proof of onward travel or enough money to cover your onward travel.
  • You do not work for any employer for longer than 3 months when you are in the country.
  • Any course you undertake does not last more than 3 months.
  • You have appropriate health care insurance to cover your trip.

Costs for a Hong Kong Visa for Australian Citizens

As there is no visa required for Hong Kong from Australia, then there is also no cost implication. This means that you are not required to spend anything on entering the country during the planning phases or when you touch down in the country and can use the money you have saved to enjoy your time away even more.

Frequently Asked Questions

Now you have clarity on travel authorisations, you can seek the answers to other questions that you may have. We have taken some of the most frequently asked questions and answered them below to help you get ready.

What is the Currency in This Country?

The local currency is Hong Kong dollars, and you can use your debit/credit card to pay when you are in shops or hotels. If you are going to enter the country with more than 120,000 HKD in cash, then you are expected to take a written declaration with you to explain the need for such large amounts.

If you need to exchange money when you are in the country, then you can use exchange kiosks and banks with ease or even make withdrawals via ATMs.

Can I Hire a Car When I Arrive?

If you want to drive around when you are on holiday then you are able to hire a car as long as you meet the requirements stipulated; these are:

  • Having insurance that covers you abroad.
  • Holding a current and valid Australian driving licence.
  • Holding an International Driving Permit.

It is important to note that the rules of the road are different than you are used to at home, so you should read up on them before you head off on holiday.

How Safe is This Destination for Tourists?

The good news is that the crime rate is low, and there is very little risk of being the victim of a violent crime. However, as with all travel, you should take sensible precautions to ensure that you are safe at all times. This includes only going to well-lit areas at night-time and using taxis that are recommended by your hotel rather than hailed down in the street.

In some built-up areas, there have been incidents of pickpocketing, so it is a good idea to store your cash and travel documents in a concealed travel holder on your body rather than in your handbag or pocket. You should also take care when using ATMs that you put any cash away before you move away from the machine to stop it being stolen.

Find Out More About Visiting Hong Kong

If you need help with finding out more about travel requirements and regulations to this destination, then check out our main page about the Hong Kong visa.

In addition, you can read a range of helpful information about visiting the so-called special administrative region on our visit Hong Kong page here.

Related Answers

Rate this
0/5 - 0 votes